Forced to break a promise and things out of my control

My friends, I'll call them Alice and Lily for now. Alice was upset about the fact that i always hangout with Lily and her friends and Alice felt left out. I promised her that next time when i organise something, i would invite her. And today she asked me out, and i think it's a revenge on Lily because Alice felt left out and want Lily to feel the same. Anyway, Lily asked if she can come to my house and have a party tomorrow, I said ok and ask if Alice can come as well because i promised Alice that i would invite her next time i have a party or something. Although I'm not the person who organise this party, the party IS at my house. I asked Lily and Lily doesn't want Alice to come. But if Alice finds out, she is going to be extremely upset with me. She will think that i didn't keep my promise. However, Lily's friend is still friends with Alice, this mean that she might tell Alice that they went to my house and Alice is not invited. What can i do please help me?

WhiskeyJack

I don't understand, the party is at your house yet you can't invite a mutual friend?

If you really care about your friend Alice put your foot down and tell Lily that you are inviting her.

• Author

Lily ask if they can come to my house, i didn't invite them. And beside, it's just a small party, and I'm not the one organising it. Lily just ask if she can come and that's all. I do care but Lily is not going to enjoy the party if Alice is here.

WhiskeyJack

Honestly if it was me I'd be telling Lily that Alice should be invited or they can find another place for the party.

I would take friendships very seriously, if you say your going to do something you should follow through.

• Like 1
  • Author

But i'm not the person who organise it, and both of them are important to me, i can't choose over the two of them

If it were me, I'd tell Alice to come since it IS your house and if Lily gets mad, oh well, I bet she'll stop putting you in these difficult positions from now on. A true friend shouldn't control who you can and can't associate with.

Otherwise you can tell Alice you asked but Lily said no but you do have to tell Alice something otherwise she WILL be mad at you when her other friend tells her where she was.

You're letting Lily bully you and being a doormat and not nice to Alice. It's at your house. That makes it your call who to invite. Invite Alice. Lily can suck it. She doesn't have to talk to her. She probably had it at your house specifically to force this choice and that makes her evil. All your friends don't have to like each other. Invite who you want and if someone drops out, who cares.

You need to stop doing what your petty little friends tell you and start doing what is right. Why you'd want to suck up to the mean friend is beyond me. You'll only end up with a bad friend.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1