Does this "friend" want to talk to me?

I became friends with this co-worker, she was let go last year, sometimes we would hang out-outside of work, etc, etc. Anyway, we're friends on facebook-like twice I would send her a message asking, "hey, how have you been?" And both times her response would be, "Hi, I'm fine, thanks." I'm like ok...it kind of seems one-sided, don't you think? The so-called conversation just ends there. I would think if she was interested in talking to me, she would ask me how I am...

Unless she was just busy and couldn't type any more, but then she'd get in touch with you again probably. If you have already sent her a couple of those kind of messages and she's just answering with blunt-ish responses maybe text and ask if she wants to catch up anytime soon and gauge her answers. If she's not giving much back then maybe just let it go, as painful as that can be. Sometimes when friendships are not convenient people put less effort in and they they fade away. :(

whichwayisup
I became friends with this co-worker, she was let go last year, sometimes we would hang out-outside of work, etc, etc. Anyway, we're friends on facebook-like twice I would send her a message asking, "hey, how have you been?" And both times her response would be, "Hi, I'm fine, thanks." I'm like ok...it kind of seems one-sided, don't you think? The so-called conversation just ends there. I would think if she was interested in talking to me, she would ask me how I am...

You're right. If she wanted to continue a conversation with you, she would.

She's not interested. Maybe she doesn't want to be reminded of that place, or maybe she has become busy with other things. It's normal for people to drift away.

• Author

Wow...well, that's what I figured...it's just kind of ****ty how she wants to remain friends with certain people in her past, yet for some reason, she has no interest in keeping a friendship with me...its also kind of sad how some friendships are only for a short period of time. I deleted her on fb, no use on having her on my fb friends list.

Friendship is two way effort.

I hate to be blunt but it seems as though this 'friend' is just going through the motions if you like just to be polite.

Without any real interest in your life or any interest in seeing you , this cant really be classed as a friendship.

To a certain extent, people have to be nice to you at work. So you think you are friends, but sometimes you're not really. I know it can be hurtful, but just chalk it up to experience.