Mental connection?

Hello,

How would you guys describe a mental connection? Is it the same as an emotional one? Or is it a connection between two friends who just always have something to talk about. I am just curious how others would describe this type of connection.

I would say it's always nice to have a mental connection but that it is different than an emotional one. I've had mental connections with people I wouldn't want to date not because they weren't attractive but because there were too many red flags in that department. If the mental connection is enough for you, then cultivate it. If you know you'll always want to sleep with the person, ask the person for a real date and if they're not interested, stop focusing on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Cafe au lait

Personally I think of a mental connection like an intellectual one. So talking to someone who is close to the same intelligence level as me, as opposed to much lower or higher. The mental connection comes from conversations about philosophy, academics, or other not very emotional things. An emotional connection comes from conversations revolving around feelings, like maybe talking about family issues. I think being able to easily have deep conversations that last a long time and allow you to explore multiple facets of a fairly impartial issue shows a mental connection.

Basically, mental connection is driven by the mind, whereas emotional connection is driven by the heart.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

i have had mental connections with professors and blue collar workers.....doesnt involve intelligence it involves mental capabilities to have an open mind.......open minds absorb multi faceted conversations or dialogue words regardless of intellectual differences ...i had a fifteen year relationship that had a mental emotional and physical connection i believe it failed as spiritually we are on different paths........i respect him still...he agreed in as much to say as a pretty simple to understand man would say deb you need to be with someone who has your faith.......that's the connection that supercedes all my other connections......and needs to be the foundation...he has since adopted in his new relationships some of my spritiual standards no alcohol drugs ro smokes....h ebeat me with the last one...... and he knows i stand behidn my beliefs and supports me to further those which is one of my goals in life.....to be the best i can be....regardless of what i write here, or how i write i actually have a good top ten percent iq and that really doesnt count in my relationships or in life in general it is a gift i was given ...to help others not myself..............deb

• Like 1

Intellectual connection. Shared sense of humor, compatible viewpoints, compatible 'type' of intellect, the ability to talk for hours on end without getting bored, some shared interests.

Definitely not 'just' friends to me, because guys like that are rare enough that whenever I meet one (and both of us are single), I tend to develop romantic/emotional attraction to them (followed by sexual attraction), so the point is moot. :laugh:

An emotional connection to me would be the romantic bond - butterfly feelings, warm fuzzy feelings, the kind of stuff you get when you're cuddling or holding hands or such. Not the same thing.

todreaminblue
Intellectual connection. Shared sense of humor, compatible viewpoints, compatible 'type' of intellect, the ability to talk for hours on end without getting bored, some shared interests.

Definitely not 'just' friends to me, because guys like that are rare enough that whenever I meet one (and both of us are single), I tend to develop romantic/emotional attraction to them (followed by sexual attraction), so the point is moot. :laugh:

An emotional connection to me would be the romantic bond - butterfly feelings, warm fuzzy feelings, the kind of stuff you get when you're cuddling or holding hands or such. Not the same thing.

elswyth,

normally butterflies and things like that come when i have friends i have come to trust, it is rare for me to crush on a guy in my vicinity without trust, i dont see guys as most other women do....... i think any guy really actually...ok....scares me...... so you cant crush on what you fear.that is why my butterflies last ......because they were borne of trust.......only once have i got butterflies without completely trusting or knowing a guy and i think it was god sent...because i didnt understand them or why i had them...i had butterflies for fifteen years with my ex.....they arent for him anymore.....i do agree like you finding a guy who fits me is extremely rare and finding a guy who actually would put up with a multiple personality and stay ......rarer still.....deb

as far as emotional attachment goes i dotn equate butterflies...i equate being abel to know how they feel as an emotional attachment and i do feel them , i know when they need me i know how they feel, and i know when they lie...i develop emotional attachments early......and i dont have to know a person to develop an emotional attachment i know how to help them if i need to help them.....no romance no attraction just that emotional attachment and when they fade out i get voer it...id o my bit they move on as do i......spiritual attachment only recently have i found out where my spirit belongs so one day maybe even i might have a quatro way relationship......deb

Edited by todreaminblue