Why is this friend acting different suddenly?

I met this really cool person through my boyfriend. We just talked one day and he was super nice, warm and we shared many of the same interests. He added me to his contacts because he said I was such a cool person to talk to and wanted to chat regularly. I love art and video games and we played many of the same games, so conversation was easy. This is very rare for me, since I am socially anxious.

For once in a very long time, I was excited to talk to someone and genuinely enjoyed their company. One day I showed him one of my artworks and he told me he was impressed and asked if he could use it for as part of a personal art project. I was way too nervous about showing my artwork to the world and politely declined. Since then he seems to act differently; he's rarely on and never ever talks to me unless I talk to him first....for some reason I feel really crushed. I know that he is busy with life and spending time with his girlfriend, but its like he changed his opinion about me somehow. He has this kind of "I'm really awkward around you vibe" now. Do you think I am just overreacting or something...its so hard for me to make friends and I feel so disappointed. Thanks for any insight, be as honest as needed...I feel like I know nothing about friendships.

I think you know alot about relationships, thus your concern currently. I cannot speak with anothers behavior, we all have such things that are normal to one yet abnormal or out of character for another. Only you can determine that based on interaction.

Stay in touch with this person, just keep the interaction limited to current events or other likes of interest.

I personally am very guarded on my artwork. It's to close to my soul to simply have it marketed by someone else. So I get your concern. Most of my friends appreciate and respect that side of my being.

actually, i would not want to give any artwork of mine out like that, unless i was getting the credit, i would not want my hard work used by another, you are lucky he did not steal it, hell, people do

as for friendships themselves, you are going have to accept that people come and go, the leaving depends on what you offer (or not) and what you have in common, anxious or not, imho

Edited by darkmoon
  • Like 1

Hi, Aedra. Good to see you around again. :)

I think that regardless of what his behaviour means, it's a can of worms that you don't want to open (as if I read you correctly you are both in Rs right now). Just treat him like you would any other platonic friend, and don't waste time worrying about what he's thinking.