I forgot my friend's birthday :(

My friend's birthday was yesterday, and I forgot to text her or call her to wish her a happy birthday. I'm away at school and she is back home. I'm graduating this semester so I've just been swamped with finals and saying goodbye to the friends I've made down here that I most likely won't see again. I had two finals yesterday and then my friends threw me a surprise going-away party, so I'm afraid she thinks that I'm just down here partying and couldn't be bothered to text her.

I remembered when I woke up this morning, so I sent her a text wishing her a happy birthday and apologizing for the late birthday wish, but she has not responded all day which is somewhat unusual for her. I'm afraid she's mad at me.

Is there anything more I should do? I feel awful :(

• Author

I'm definitely going to call her, but I'm worried she'll just feel like it's not genuine because it's the following day.

• Author

Ok, I tried calling. She didn't pick up. She might just be at work and might not actually be that upset, or she might be mad at me and ignoring me. At this point, I don't think there's anything left that I can do?

• Author

It's been long enough that I think she's definitely ignoring me. I guess at this point I just have to let her approach me, if she wants to? I really don't know what else to do =/

whichwayisup
My friend's birthday was yesterday, and I forgot to text her or call her to wish her a happy birthday. I'm away at school and she is back home. I'm graduating this semester so I've just been swamped with finals and saying goodbye to the friends I've made down here that I most likely won't see again. I had two finals yesterday and then my friends threw me a surprise going-away party, so I'm afraid she thinks that I'm just down here partying and couldn't be bothered to text her.

I remembered when I woke up this morning, so I sent her a text wishing her a happy birthday and apologizing for the late birthday wish, but she has not responded all day which is somewhat unusual for her. I'm afraid she's mad at me.

Is there anything more I should do? I feel awful :(

It was an honest mistake. If she is mad, hopefully she'll get over it. You did wish her a HBD and apologized for sending it late. Give it a few more days and then be up front, ask her if she is angry at you.

• Author

I texted her apologizing again, and she responded. She was still angry but seemed to suggest she would get over it - although she was very short with me. I think she's still angry, and I understand why.

I hate being the "bad friend" :( As of late, I seem to be taking things very personally. I'm much more sensitive than usual, and so things like this tend to bother me more than they probably should.

Not sure this qualifies you as a "bad" anything. You forgot and that is normal given the hectic things being scheduled that day. You made amends when time alotted. Not sure I would have groveled to this friend or allowed her to take issue to the point of anger . Disappointment yes. And its okay to validate her disappointment. to play bad cop here- it took all of 8 secs to send a well wish, surely somewhere in the day it could have been texted. to play good cop here, you realized it and wanted to express your thoughtfullness to her on that special day. Be kinder to yourself, not worth it in the grand scheme of friendships.

whichwayisup
I texted her apologizing again, and she responded. She was still angry but seemed to suggest she would get over it - although she was very short with me. I think she's still angry, and I understand why.

I hate being the "bad friend" :( As of late, I seem to be taking things very personally. I'm much more sensitive than usual, and so things like this tend to bother me more than they probably should.

You both will realize as you older, life can get really busy. Things get forgotten about by accident.. she will learn not to hold a grudge. It really isn't the end of the world, the sky isn't falling that you missed her birthday by ONE day! You wished her a HBD the next day.

This now is her issue, let her get over it. Don't bring it up again and forgive yourself for the mistake.

You're not a bad friend.

• Like 1

Forgetting one time isn't a punishable offense. Forgetting consistently is reason enough to end a friendship.