Am I in the wrong?

Mengineer

I had a test at college today. It was a make up test to be taken in the school testing center due to the snow days we've had. My friend called me this morning before class. He asked me when I was going to take the test. He then stated that he wanted to go over some things with me to see if he was prepared for the test. I told him I was going to take the test around noon, and that if he wasn't there I would just go take the test. During the drive to school, around noon, my friend gave me a call saying he was at school. At a traffic light I just texted, "Almost there." He replied back that he had something to tell me when I got to school. I arrived 10 minutes later. I tried to call him and text him saying, "where are you, gonna take the test." I waited another 5 minutes and text again asking the same thing. I then gave another call about 10 minutes after the first call. I waited another 5 minutes and then went in to take the test.

During the test, 40 minutes after my first call. He called me. He then sent 3 texts and called again. I turned my phone off after that. After my test, about 2 hours later I turned my phone back on. He left me a bunch of texts with sarcastic remarks saying things like thanks a lot for waiting, WTF, i came here to meet you, you didn't wait for me, etc.

I defended myself obviously, I told him he almost got me in trouble calling me during the test. I then told him I waited over 15 minutes for him, etc. You get the idea of what I said.

In a nutshell he flipped out on me saying I'm selfish, a bad friend, etc. he went on ranting, holding everything he could think against me. He started bringing up any favors he's done for me and used it against me. He then started to bring up my personal life and using it against me. Saying things about how I'm a pampered spoiled brat who doesn't know how to treat friends. How my parents pay for my college, etc. Once again, you get the idea.

This is the most recent fight I have had with this friend. I keep having recurring fights with him over the past year I have known him. All the fights are almost the same as this one. I feel like he does things for me just to hold them against me. For example he insists on giving me money that I don't need to pay back. The first chance he gets he will use it against me as leverage. When I tell him personal things he uses them against me. The list goes on and on. We are both grown men. I feel like these fights are immature and stupid.

I'll stop here. I'm afraid if I type too much no one will want to read my post. Thank you if you read it all.

We are both grown men.

Doesn't sound like it.

I feel like these fights are immature and stupid.

I agree - you two sound like teenage girls...

I would start distancing myself from him and definitely stop taking money. What's up with that anyway? Doesn't matter if he offers - why are you taking it when you know what it will lead to?

• Author
Doesn't sound like it.

I agree - you two sound like teenage girls...

I would start distancing myself from him and definitely stop taking money. What's up with that anyway? Doesn't matter if he offers - why are you taking it when you know what it will lead to?

I don't accept anything from him anymore.

It's crazy, Once he wanted me to do some HVAC job at some auto shop. I declined. He went nuts, doing the same kind of rant that you see on my main post. I then agreed to do it. He paid me and then some time down the line he flipped out again when something didn't go his way. He used that job against me. Saying things like how he paid me a bunch of money, how I should be grateful to have been given such good pay, etc.

I feel like he just keeps trying to manipulate and guilt trip me.

Every time I tell him off, the following day he tries to act all cool about it like nothing is wrong. Trying to buddy me again.

I'm at my last straw now. I told him earlier that I'm done for good with him. If he tries to play it cool again tomorrow, I'm not gonna give in anymore.

Maybe his manipulation is getting to me. That's why I need some second opinions.

Thanks!

Edited by Mengineer

There's something really weird in the dynamic you two have. I'm not sure we have a complete picture.

What do you need to know?

That you are a good friend?

It doesn't sound like there's a lot of friendship if there's money involved.

• Author
There's something really weird in the dynamic you two have. I'm not sure we have a complete picture.

What do you need to know?

That you are a good friend?

It doesn't sound like there's a lot of friendship if there's money involved.

I want to know as the title asks, am I in the wrong? Did you read my first post?

Not everything is about money. I only mentioned that story because the last post mentioned not taking money from him anymore.

I'll give another example

He also holds things from school against me when he rants. He will say how I am ungrateful, he always helps me with all my classes, etc. The thing is I help him equally if not more. I never hold anything against him either. I do it out of friendship. This semester alone, I gave him half of all the Physics homework's that were due because he was to busy fooling around with this girl. If you've taken Physics you will know the homework takes hours to complete. That's only the gist of it. Yes, he has helped me with a few questions with math, etc. but he has actually done me more harm then good. I still let it slide.

For example I had a rough time in two of my classes due to him getting into conflicts with the teachers. Due to the conflicts he had and my friendship with him, the teachers began to really lean on me. I managed to get by but it was not fun.

Edited by Mengineer

He was asking you to cheat and give him the answers to the test, sounds like. Dump him. He's a user and nothing more.

You were taking a test. Your phone should have been off & he should have realized that. If you were my student & it buzzed, I would have taken the test from you, given you a zero & sent you to the dean of students with a charge of cheating.

Your test had to come first. He should have waited. He's the bad friend.

• Author
You were taking a test. Your phone should have been off & he should have realized that. If you were my student & it buzzed, I would have taken the test from you, given you a zero & sent you to the dean of students with a charge of cheating.

Your test had to come first. He should have waited. He's the bad friend.

I did tell him that. He responded selfishly, lashing out at me about how I didn't wait 40 minutes of him to call me back.