What was one of the most surprising friend deletions on Facebook?

Armegoggon

Around one month ago, a girl deleted me on Facebook friends.

What happened at around the time before she deleted me:

It was on her birthday, I wrote "Happy Birthday" to her wall, plain and simple no other words. She said "thanks" less than 10 hours later. However, not even 12 hours after she said, that my "Who Deleted me" app (my friends don't know that I use this since I set the privacy to myself), found her gone off my friends list. 2011 was the last time I said HBD to her before then.

What also happened was, I wrote a depressing post about someone on the internet harassing me in an RPG. I got around 8 likes and a few negative comments. None of this post had anything to do with her or any of her backgrounds or any sort of her.

Our friendship:

Originally, I met her in high school in grade 10. Well, I did hear she was popular but I talked to her anyways in one of my classes we had together. I didn't ever have a crush on her but then I sent her a friend request (~150 mutual friends pre-deletion) without asking her in person. She accepted it, IICR less than 6 hours later.

We sometimes talk to each other in person when we saw each other in the halls, she smiled at me.

We were always nice to each other with none of us ever complaining about anything when we talked to each other. Not a single time were we mean to each other.

On Facebook, we didn't talk often but that was because I used to hardly go on Facebook until around last year I went on more actively. I didn't talk to her often and I rarely viewed her profile. My picture was fine, I mean I've had that since late July.

We last saw each other in June because of a graduation. I was not a really close friend to her so I didn't talk to her.

However, we never hung out.

Why was I surprised?

1) We never had any bad moments talking to each other.

2) Checking her friends list, there were a lot lot more people whom I know that rarely (if never) even talk to her, yet she still has them. She even has a few people that I know are non-real life. So clearly she didn't just clean up her list.

3) One month before, I wrote a depressing status about not being able to make friends in college yet others managed who managed to get to university made lots of friends on their first week. She saw the status and liked a constructive comment from one of my friends, whom is also nice to me. Honestly, I thought someone would delete me because of that status but turns out nobody did (at least within a long timeframe of post-activity).

4) I don't believe she forgot about me because if she did, she would've forgotten about most others. We actually did see each talk to other at least once a week on average in high school.

Now before you think I'm complaining, please read this and don't try to write abusive comments like most complaint threads would. I'm simply addressing this because I don't know most other sites to ask. I can't find her in a university and I don't either have her phone number. I feel shy asking her or contacting her. Maybe if I saw her again in person, I'd just say "hi" and ask her "how's thing's going".

So what is one time when you felt most surprised that somebody deleted you from Facebook? Times where you felt you didn't deserve that treatment?

While it seems to come as a surprise, have you considered various other non personal reason this may have happened? 1: maybe she was being harrassed by someone and created a private account 2: maybe her computer crashed 3: maybe someone hacked her account. 4: maybe there are reasons that have not been investigated. I would venture though there is a valid reason that just hasn't come to the surface. To answer your question,rarely care if im deleted. There are

Phones,emails and other media for those that are valued.

I mean, there's nothing really shocking here.

The last time you ever said, "Happy Birthday" to her was in 2011. You didn't really speak all that often, you weren't close enough to her to even have exchanged phone numbers, or even have hung out outside of school. Your contact was mainly in class, and a friendly "hi" in the halls.

You're not really a friend. You're just someone she knows. An acquaintance.

I periodically go through my Facebook and knock people off my list. It's nothing really personal, it's just that if I haven't spoken to you, we don't really have current communication, and you're not really "IN' my life, then there's no reason for you to have access to my information, my business, my whereabouts, etc.

• Author
I mean, there's nothing really shocking here.

The last time you ever said, "Happy Birthday" to her was in 2011. You didn't really speak all that often, you weren't close enough to her to even have exchanged phone numbers, or even have hung out outside of school. Your contact was mainly in class, and a friendly "hi" in the halls.

You're not really a friend. You're just someone she knows. An acquaintance.

I periodically go through my Facebook and knock people off my list. It's nothing really personal, it's just that if I haven't spoken to you, we don't really have current communication, and you're not really "IN' my life, then there's no reason for you to have access to my information, my business, my whereabouts, etc.

Actually she still has about 1000 friends on her list, as I just checked it now. Plus as stated somewhere in the first post, a few of my friends, who rarely talk to her (if any messages) still have her.

Either way, I don't believe that "lack of engagement" should be a major factor. Plus we know each other about our hobbies and goals in our time in high school.

While it seems to come as a surprise, have you considered various other non personal reason this may have happened? 1: maybe she was being harrassed by someone and created a private account 2: maybe her computer crashed 3: maybe someone hacked her account. 4: maybe there are reasons that have not been investigated. I would venture though there is a valid reason that just hasn't come to the surface. To answer your question,rarely care if im deleted. There are

Phones,emails and other media for those that are valued.

First one couldn't be true because she goes on often, probably every second on her phone. Second one, how does a crashing computer even affect friends list? Third, if she was hacked, it would've been pretty obvious because something would've easily happened. So perhaps the fourth reason is there.

Oh whatever. I mean whatever happens I'll consider that valid but I'm just logically unsure about why anyways. Besides, I haven't seen much articles that could reason out things like this.

nescafe1982

Could have been an accident. Like KatZee, I periodically cut my friends list down to size (mostly eliminating folks I don't speak to IRL, etc). Once, I dropped something like 100 FB connections, and after a pretty good friend of mine called me up, annoyed that I'd unfriended her and asked me "what's up? do we have a problem?"

So that could be it too.

But honestly, if you're not friends with this girl IRL, being FB friends with her is.... well, why?

• Like 2

Why would people delete you for a realistic but unhappy post on your Facebook? If anyone dumps you for not being 100% upbeat all the time then your friendship didn't mean much to them. It's not cool to be constantly negative, but that doesn't mean you have to walk on eggshells!

I had a guy friend I knew since I was a pre-teen delete me a few years ago. He was always kind of a submissive, entertainer kind of dude so it was very surprising. He's still on my steam and I'll message him every once in a while. People take all that facebook nonsense too personally. You even have an app that shows you who deleted you? :confused:

• Like 1

Listen, people thin out their friend list all the time -- and they should! They do it because there's no reason to give people they either don't really know or have some interest in an eye into their private life. It also unclutters things.

I never take it personally, since I do it from time to time as well.

The most surprising one though, was when one of my friends from University deleted me, a couple of years ago. What surprised me most was that he didn't delete any other of our group of friends.

To be honest, I don't even know when he did it. I noticed it because it was his birthday and I was gonna go wish him a happy birthday on his wall and found out we were no longer friends.

I never asked him about it and don't much care. If he doesn't want to be my FB friend, then so be it.

whichwayisup

Are you very upset this girl deleted you?

We last saw each other in June because of a graduation. I was not a really close friend to her so I didn't talk to her.

However, we never hung out.

And the last time you posted to her before the recent hbd was in 2011.

You two are not 'friends'. Casual buddies, if that.

Some people go through their friends list and dump those whom they never speak to anymore or if rarely.

Try not to be bothered by it. Maybe easier said than done, but if this is girl wasn't a big part of your life, why have her on fb? See, she may feel since you're not in her life she sees no point in having you on her fb.

pickflicker
I blocked my mum lol

My parents aren't even on Facebook! Not that my FB is very exciting, but I am eternally grateful that they don't "want anything to do with the Facebook rubbish". :laugh:

• Like 1

My mother and sister will start heated arguments/debates with people on my facebook if they hear something they don't like or disagree with -_-

• Author
Are you very upset this girl deleted you?

And the last time you posted to her before the recent hbd was in 2011.

You two are not 'friends'. Casual buddies, if that.

Some people go through their friends list and dump those whom they never speak to anymore or if rarely.

Try not to be bothered by it. Maybe easier said than done, but if this is girl wasn't a big part of your life, why have her on fb? See, she may feel since you're not in her life she sees no point in having you on her fb.

You probably didn't read the first post really clear. If I was really upset, I would've been posting this as soon as I found out. Besides, she isn't the absolute most surprising deletion I've encountered.

Around last December (IICR), another girl deleted me. This time it was a girl that I saw almost every day and in classes we talked for at least a few times every class. I even remember the day we both met on our grade 9 first classes and talked to each other every day unless I was absent. Even more surprising, she starts the conversation around 65% of the time. Ahh, good old times.

Also, for those who have said that it was because of "lack of interaction", I somewhat disagree with that btw. For one thing, if she deleted me, why didn't she touch on others, who never went on Facebook nor even contacted her in person. I knew this because I asked them.

The thing about interaction is, how does one person get to contact another in a 6 month period if he/she has over 1000 friends?

nescafe1982

I know this is sort of an aside, but I wouldn't worry too much about the opinion of a person with over 1,000 FB friends. I don't trust those people. :p

• Like 1