Friends' special feeling?

Hi there,

I'm just thinking round and round something that happened in our group of friends. We're on uni/college, 19.

Turns out we had to make a research group and one of the guys had to be left out. At last moment we made up a group with a couple of girls and this guy had to be left out (let's name him Dan).

A few days before, out mutual friend, (name him John); Explained him the situation, Dan seemed indifferent to be out of the group. On Wednesday "John" met him again, and in a 1 on 1 lunch setting "as if they were breaking up" he told me. Now he got quite upset.

But the real point that baffles me is him and "John". Dan treated John quite harshly. When all of us, the guys meet, he always focuses on "John" and he's quite cold to the other guys.

Most of the harsh treatment turns to be childish and random irking and annoying remarks.

This is why "John" told me he was rather OK to dismiss him, he is tired of the childish annoying behiavor and on this way he'd gain respect.

What I was thinking, could it be that "Dan" has a sort of crush or love feeling towards "John" and this is why he always treated him harshly and felt specially upset with him?

I certainly know, and he's got the right to be upset at us (but he seemingly is much more upset to "John") for dismissing him. But he seems very depressed.

John told me that he'd soon be alright, and I'd leave it at his control and he is closer than I to the situation.

I don't know, perhaps just feeling that his deep friendship (despite all the annoyance for the receiving party) has betrayed him...

But all that harsh treatment, to me it seems like a way for denying some kind of feeling. This is what intrigues me.