Was my friend over reacting here?

I was playing Trivia with a friend of mine and a few other people she hangs out with. She tells me I can invite whoever I want to come join us. All was good.

I had invited another friend to come.

I don't think she was expecting that, because after a couple of weeks. She started going all weird on me.

Asking if my other friend was really enjoying herself there and stuff. She was or otherwise she would not have kept coming.

I also had a crush on the Trivia host. There is a bit of an age gap. Him being 50 and I am 34.

Found out he was single and thought it would be cool to get to know him and hung back a bit sometimes and chatted to him and other people that were there.

The Trivia host would compliment me and tell me I am gorgeous and beautiful from time to time. Good ego boost for me. Enjoyed the attention I was getting. :-). It would have been cool if something more came out of it but it did not.

My friend got weird with that as well. Saying that I was embarrassing myself with this host. I was like WTF?! All I ever did was chat to him. He was the one complimenting me. I never even complimented him back. Felt insulted that she would think I would even throw myself at someone, the way she was suggesting it.

When I hung back to speak to him. My other friend was with me and we would mainly just talk amongst ourselves. I never approached him!

The last straw for this friend of mine was when I had invited another friend to the group. We were chatting amongst ourselves while the Trivia host was asking questions but we all did not think we were that loud.

Afterward. Got accused of disrupting the table and the room. I was like seriously? We were just talking amongst ourselves. I remember when my other friend came. She even had to ask me to speak up a couple of times because I was whispering and she could not hear me.

Shrugs. My friend ended up telling me that I should make another Trivia team. Apparently it was not working because I was not 'playing' the game.

The questions were really hard. Mainly older people go there. The other girls on that table were in their 40's. Still Trivia is meant to be fun night out ?

My friend and I ended up going to a different Trivia somewhere else. I felt a bit embarrassed by the whole thing. Even though I do not think I did not do anything wrong.

Disappointed I won't see the Trivia host I have a crush on either. Sigh.

Still had fun at the new one though at least. Just wish that the old Trivia host was hosting that as well!

Sounds like the age difference thing between you and the rest of the people may be the problem. I have nothing in common with most women 10+ years older than me. I had my child relatively young and all the other mothers of kids in that age group I see are usually much older than me.

Those women are often cold to me and exclude me from conversations. I think older women are often threatened by younger women and feel uncomfortable. I don't blame them.

It could also be your behavior. You may be more obviously flirtatious than you realize. Maybe you friend is picking up on that.

I dunno, just a guess

• Author

Possibly. I actually did think that I got along okay with those ladies. Even friends with one of them on Facebook and she added me. Shrugs. Well the one that was more approachable then the others.

My friend that originally invited me to Trivia. She is 2 years younger then me. A bit on the tomboy side. I am pretty much the only close friend she has around her age. Everyone else is within that 40+ age bracket mainly. Including her Mum. Her Mum is pretty much the closest person to her.

The other 2 girls and I are a bit more girly and more sociable then my tomboy friend. I guess, they could have gotten a bit more threatened by us. We were mainly talking quietly amongst ourselves so I did not think that would distract them. We also did speak up and answered questions that we knew the answers to.

The questions were a bit outdated for us though. Because the room had a bit more of an older crowd. Hence why we were not able to answer as much as we could have if the questions had been more current.

I thought that Trivia was not meant to be taken so seriously. I would not have excluded a person from a group if they did not know as much as another. Trivia is not meant to be taken that seriously? It is not like we are in school and are doing an exam or something. Could hear talking from other tables there as well.

I even got told that if I answered a question that everybody else knew the answer to, that, that answer was not counted. One of the other ladies knew the answer to a question I knew. Does that mean that her answer did not count as well? :rolleyes:.

As for the host. He was the one that started the whole flirtation thing with me. With the compliments and the touching on the back, arms and shoulders. Did not mind the attention from him at all.

Maybe it was the body language that was giving me away a bit as well. Who knows. We were both single but. I bet he did not mind the attention either. Nothing really happened between us unfortunately though. LoL. It just sux that I won't be able to see him again because of this but.

Edited by Gypsie

You should have asked the trivia host, this: I bet your girl friend or wife really don't know how good you are as a game host? This would tell you if he had a girl friend or was married. This way your crush and ego wouldn't be hurt. If the told you the truth then you would proceed by saying are you on face book? If so? May I add you as a friend? Now you would have his face book name or you could say I am interesting to learn more about you. Things like this. Now the host is gone and you have no clue where he gone too. You would have to ask the current host what happen to him?

Friends get jealous when you got all the attention from the trivia host like you did with his complements. You should have really found out more about him. You now have let this guy slip through you fingers. As for your friends if they don't care to hang out with you anymore then move on and find better friends. Too much drama today. Your young still you have a new future ahead of you and anything negative in your life like them you don't need because you live in THE NOW! Your intent is to be positive and meet new people. Keep on doing that your life will be splendid!

Edited by coolheadal
  • Author

Coolheadal

No. The Trivia host is still there! He never left. I was the one that left to go to a different Trivia on a different night. Hence why I won't be seeing him anymore.

I was the one that went to a different Trivia because I did not want to embarrass myself in front of the Trivia host I liked. By still going there. The questions he had were really outdated for someone my age, there would have only been 2 in my new group, including me and did not want him to think I was dumb and stupid so decided to go to another one instead now.

If I had known that, that was gonna be my last week there, then I would have asked a question along those lines, but now miss out! Not unless I run into him later on somewhere else down the track. Shrugs. Who knows.

I was told that he was single so knew that he was. So did not see the harm of flirting a little bit. Especially if he was full of compliments. It hardly was when the others were around.

Nothing ever happened so thought my friend was being a bit uptight about the whole thing. Especially with that 'embarrassing myself in front of him comment' she made it sound like I was throwing myself at the guy when I barely even approached him. LoL.

Edited by Gypsie