Was I out of line?

I was friends with this girl for five years. We both graduated from teacher's college. She managed to find a job in a different town, while I have struggled. She asked me to volunteer in her classroom. I booked off six days off my part time job to visit her and volunteer.

I ended up moving away and asked her to fill out a form required for the school board. She told me she wouldn't do it because I didn't actually teach and only volunteered. However, I taught three lessons while I was volunteering. I thought at a friend she would do this but she didn't. She said she would write a reference letter instead, so I said ok. I felt kind of hurt because I loss wages to visit her and helped her a lot when I was volunteering.

A few months after, I asked for the copy of the reference letter she wrote. She replied that she left it in our home town. To me it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't have a copy saved. I didn't say anything because I didn't need it right away. I asked her again and she didn't respond for about five days. I ended up asking her if she even wrote one. Her reply was "no..." because she said I wasn't even go to use it, which is a lie because I agreed to the reference letter. I felt so betrayed because all this time I thought she wrote one. She even said she had a copy. The school board I had applied for automatically rejects incomplete applications.

I sent her a message telling her how hurt I was. I also told her I didn't want to be friends with someone who uses me and only cares for herself. Her response was that my message "was unprovoked" and "it's sad I feel this way", but she'll talk if I need someone to talk to. I haven't talked to her since and pretty much ended the friendship.

You did the right thing. She used you for her own gain, and then lied to you about writing a letter for you. "I left it in my home town" is a garbage lie, and then to later admit she didn't even do it is even worse.

You were not out of line. She doesn't sound like a friend.