Hooked up with friend, can our friendship still work out?

illestrated

illestrated

I was at a club for a mutual friend's going away party. Had one too many drinks, and one of my close friends...Who has had feelings for me for a very long time (though I've never reciprocated feelings), sat down and looked after me. He was considerably drunk as well and made the move while I was resting my head on his shoulder.

We talked things out, he finally admitted he likes me and I told him while I had feelings with him, I am not looking for something serious. He says he understands but says that he wants something serious with me and definitely wants things to happen the right way when *I'm* ready.

I'm in my 20s, and he's almost 10 years older than me. I feel like I am too young to be involved with a guy who's probably trying to settle down...Which is why although I like him, I really feel bad that I've crossed the line.

However, my issue is I wonder how and if we can really stay friends? We have the same circle of friends, and once in a while we would grab dinner by ourselves (I would always pay my share, I didn't consider those dates or anything...casual quick bites/fast food). I see him almost on a weekly basis so I'm wondering if there is a 'right' way to act around him without feeling like I'm leading him on?

I know this changes the dynamic...There's no more guessing if he likes me or vice versa. I know things like body language and how I talk to him might need to change so he doesn't get the wrong idea. But I feel like for as long as I'm even around him he will always think he has a chance. Should I act normal? Be distant? Change nothing? We really don't want things to be awkward but I doubt there's any turning back now.

Edit: I've told him these concerns and he insists that while it will be hard, he still wants me around. He suggests that he's older and been around the block to understand not to wait for me. Should I trust that?

Edited by illestrated