Stumped about birthday gift

creighton0123

creighton0123

Short:

I introduced my best friend to a coworker. They got married. Moved away. Had a baby (last week). Next week is her birthday and I know from talking to her on Skype that all she is expecting is baby stuff.

I want to give her something that will make her life better and I was thinking about sending her a gift card for a spa day at a local spa near her house.

It can't be construed as romantic at all. She's my best friend and, well, I'm gay.

Anyone think it's a good idea? With the baby, they can't afford anything like this right now. I figure it would be something nice that she would never buy for herself that, after 9 months of pregnancy, she is most definitely in need of.

I like the spa day idea. Anything that is clearly a gift for her would be good, I think. Or if she likes books, get her a gift card for a bookstore. Or if she likes tea, get her a nice sampler of teas. Or something that you know she likes.

no way! she has hinted she is in need

if I were her i'd be in the spa feeling ****ty about my lack of things for the baby, un-happy

Edited by darkmoon
  • Like 1
LovelyScars

I believe it's a very generous gift, especially after nine months with a baby inside. I am sure she will be happy with such a gift.

I myself would've maybe helped with clothes for the new child or even food. But your idea is very sweet.

no way! she has hinted she is in need

if I were her i'd be in the spa feeling ****ty about my lack of things for the baby, un-happy

Totally agree!...

If you can afford it... send her both. A small gift for the baby that you know she needs, and something nice for her. That way she will not feel as guilty about getting something for herself :)

• Author
creighton0123
If you can afford it... send her both. A small gift for the baby that you know she needs, and something nice for her. That way she will not feel as guilty about getting something for herself :)

I think this is a good option, although she expressed a need for clothing at the one year mark. They're currently swimming in 0-3 month sizes where people don't realize the baby is only going to be that size for... three months.

It-is-what-it-is.
Short:

I introduced my best friend to a coworker. They got married. Moved away. Had a baby (last week). Next week is her birthday and I know from talking to her on Skype that all she is expecting is baby stuff.

I want to give her something that will make her life better and I was thinking about sending her a gift card for a spa day at a local spa near her house.

It can't be construed as romantic at all. She's my best friend and, well, I'm gay.

Anyone think it's a good idea? With the baby, they can't afford anything like this right now. I figure it would be something nice that she would never buy for herself that, after 9 months of pregnancy, she is most definitely in need of.

Thumbs up for spa day, massage whatever. They can exchange baby stuff for toddler stuff anyway.

You would be the best friend ever.

I think this is a good option, although she expressed a need for clothing at the one year mark. They're currently swimming in 0-3 month sizes where people don't realize the baby is only going to be that size for... three months.

Hahaha I hear you. I am pregnant expecting my first child and it didn't even occur to me to put clothes of varying sizes on the registry until a friend pointed out that fact to me :)

Buy her a few sets of onesies for the next couple of sizes up. They're cheap enough and she will definitely use them as time goes by. Add some socks and knit hats/gloves if she lives in a colder place.