Use to being alone (in a good way)

I am a self-sufficient person. I can handle not seeing people or having any real contact with others over a period of days. I guess I do this because it has been like that since my childhood. I helps me keep negative things out and I can stay positive about my self and future. But obviously because of this I dont have many friends that I can just call or hang out with. I am not like this by choice it is just what I am use too. I guess my question is at what point does this become a bad thing? And how should I change this if needed?

I think the only time it would become an issue is if you start feeling lonely or unfulfilled. Different people have different tolerances for this kind of stuff. Depends on how introverted you are.

I believe I'm in a similar situation as you. I spend most of my time on the computer being extremely unproductive when I'm not at classes or studying. Sometimes I feel kind of bad for being anti-social like I'm missing out or something. There seems to be a lot of social pressure directed at people who choose to spend their time by themselves.

Set a goal for yourself. Maybe meet up with one friend once a week. After you've accomplished your goal, stop feeling guilty about spending the rest of your time alone.

Edited by patrol
I am a self-sufficient person. I can handle not seeing people or having any real contact with others over a period of days. I guess I do this because it has been like that since my childhood. I helps me keep negative things out and I can stay positive about my self and future. But obviously because of this I dont have many friends that I can just call or hang out with. I am not like this by choice it is just what I am use too. I guess my question is at what point does this become a bad thing? And how should I change this if needed?

I'm in the same boat. I love it and hate it at the same time. I like not being committed to things or people but every now and then I DO need some human interaction.

• Like 1
  • Author

The love it and hate it and not being commited to things really puts what I was attempting to say in perfect perspective. The hard part is finding a good medium so that being social is a viable option. I dont feel guilty about being alone so much as I want real interaction. It is refreshing in so many levels when you have like minded people to hang out with. I guess Friends are hard to come by when you dont have any acquintances.

• Like 1