Should I try to contact an old friend?

I just recently joined Facebook and I found an old friend from high school. I knew him for over 10 years, but after we graduated we drifted apart and I haven't talked to him since then. I was thinking about trying to contact him just to see what he has been up to but I am kind of nervous since its been about 8 years since I last saw him. Anyone else ever doing anything like this before?

whichwayisup
I just recently joined Facebook and I found an old friend from high school. I knew him for over 10 years, but after we graduated we drifted apart and I haven't talked to him since then. I was thinking about trying to contact him just to see what he has been up to but I am kind of nervous since its been about 8 years since I last saw him. Anyone else ever doing anything like this before?

Is he a past crush or someone you liked/boyfriend? IF yes, then don't reach out.

Really no good can come of it, if you are married, don't. It just will open a door you don't need opened. Leave the past in the past. If you are single and he is married, same thing, it will just lead to trouble.

Just because you knew someone many years ago and have drifted apart, doesn't mean you add them or reach out to them on facebook.

How many times have you run into someone you 'used to know' and have a quick chat with them, and one of you says "we should get together and have coffee one day.." you exchange numbers but nothing comes of it, or one person calls and the other person doesn't call back or says they are busy.

Don't go reaching into your past.