Complicated Traveling Situation

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a delima involving one of my good friends that lives in Germany. I was previously planning a trip to visit her during the month of May till the middle of July but due to lack of funds that wasn't possible. I instead booked my trip instead for the month of July which would mean my mother and I would fly to Frankfurt, I would fly to my friends city an hour away and stay at her home and my mother would be flying off to Hungary to see her family. Then a week and a half later I would fly to Hungary to be with my mother.

The plan between my friend was that I would have a place to stay with her while in Germany since she and her parents have a home there. However, a couple of months ago she told me she doesn't have room at her house during my stay there, her parents were looking for an apartment but if they didn't find one in time I would have to stay in a hotel for a week and a half which is really going to add up. $1,500 just for a place to stay and this wasn't the plan in the first place. I don't have the heart to tell her I can't afford to stay in a hotel and I also don't have the guts to tell my parents that I wont be staying with my friend and her family.

I'm young, only 21 and I'm not sure what I should do. My friend was already upset that I couldn't come to visit her for the whole summer because I simply do not have the money.

Any advice for what I should do?

melodymatters

Oh my goodness, don't feel bad about not being able to afford a week in a hotel overseas, many people twice your age couldn't either in this economy ! Just be honest, if she's any kind of friend she will understand !

You are only 21 - have you looked at Youth Hostels? They are considerably cheaper than hotels.

And how about Couch Surfing - dot.com?

There are always alternatives...

• Author

No Hostels and such aren't exactly safe in Europe, especially if I am alone.

Plus I know my parents would be very worried that's why staying with her and her family would be more ideal.