Did I ruin my relationship with my best friend?

I’ve been talking to this guy for about 3 months now. I have known him for about 2 years and we were relatively good friends before we actually started talking. It was said from the beginning that neither one of is were looking for anything serious because we had both just gotten out of long relationships. We talked everyday, or rather texted because neither of us like to talk on the phone and we live two hours from each other. It started out all fun and flirty. We exchanged sexy pictures and always joked about sex. However, the first time we hungout we almost had sex and probably would have if we didn’t have an issue with the alcohol. That was all good and fine, we still cuddled that night like it was nothing. The next day everything was still good, in fact we almost had sex again after a game of strip poker but had no condom. We just chilled for the rest of the day, but he was really touchy. Like we were sitting on my bed and he kept rubbing my legs and stuff, not in a perverted way though. And then we had a really long hug before he finally left. A few days after that I texted him and told that I liked him but he had nothing to worry about because I wasn’t looking for more than friendship I just thought he should know. He was cool about it, he just told me that he thinks we are better off as friends and he wanted to ho around since he never got the chance to do so before and what happened would probably never happen again because he didn’t want to ruin out friendship and he felt kind of weird after. We ended up hanging out that same day because he just so happened to be in town and everything was fine. We went to lunch and then visited with his mom for awhile and then he left. It’s been about a month or so since all of this happened and now things just aren’t the same. We don’t talk nearly as much as and when we do its kinda blah. He has a job now so that may be part of it, but it feels like more than that. I sent him a message the other day asking why he felt weird afterward and he said that it just wasn’t right and he regretted taking it there. If that’s the case though, why did it happen not just the one time? I have sent him a few crazy messages since all that went down, so I probably did this to myself, but I just want my best friend back. I would like for something more between us one day and I feel like there could be, but I don’t know anymore. Before all of this happened he told me that he felt like we were getting closer and it kinda scared him, so I know he’s probably thought about the idea of us. Did I completely ruin everything by telling him that I liked him or should I just give him some space?

Anthony2005

Based on what you've shared it seems that he has reservations with relationships at this point in his life. Clearly he is physically attracted to you but it can be difficult to maintain such a close friendship once you become intimate. I believe your friendship is stronger than you give it credit and you're building this up to more than it is in your mind. Don't ever feel that being honest and communicating what you're feeling is wrong.