Part Time Friends

Of the past 22 years of my life I have yet to find what I think of as a true best friend. I do have 2 best friends but they're my sisters. My birthday was on the 25th of February & I was reminded of how shady my 'friends' are. I can't count on any of them full time. There are some friends I consider best friends but we don't hang out all the time or one doesn't ever text me back when I ask to do something. Is there such a thing as a true friend or am I too young to have found them yet?

• Like 1

I recently just turned 22 this February also! I had a birthday party and invited ALL of my friends (30+) or so called friends. My family ordered and I organized an inhouse buffet with all of this food and only 9 of my "friends" came and these were not even the people that I expect to show up! It was really an eye opener. The sad part is that they were all saying that they would come and literally had decided they were not going to?? Like really who does that? I knew I wasnt the most popular person but I didn't know that I was a joke! It was really upsetting. I am always there to assist all of the people that I am close with I am not naive enough to say I have 30 best friends but I do not understand why I was not worth the 15-20minute drive, the one night, or even a text message saying that you would not be attending. I am the best side kick that anyone can have but that is not the only role I play so I made a decision to cut out alot of people in my life. I cant always be going the extra mile for a friend when you can't even meet me half way.

I also agree the best friends I have are my three sisters and they really came through for me but in reality true friends are hard to find and you must build a strong foundation there are probably two-three girls that I trust the most and I rarely talk or see them, but they are the most genuine of all.

• Author
Of the past 22 years of my life I have yet to find what I think of as a true best friend. I do have 2 best friends but they're my sisters. My birthday was on the 25th of February & I was reminded of how shady my 'friends' are. I can't count on any of them full time. There are some friends I consider best friends but we don't hang out all the time or one doesn't ever text me back when I ask to do something. Is there such a thing as a true friend or am I too young to have found them yet?

It's so hard! I had friends that lied about other plans that night but then would put on FB about what they were doing. I feel like I'm a great friend as well. I just don't get lying then posting about it. At least we're on the same page! Happy late birthday :)

Your sisters are your best friends. You are lucky to find that out now, and lucky to have sisters you love. Years from now, it's them you end up looking to for your best friendship.

What makes you think your friends are shady? It's important not judge true friends by how often you see them. Most of my friends I do not see or talk to very often, but when we do, it's like we've never been apart. :love: Life happens, as you get older your friends will have careers, relationships and kids preventing them from seeing you as often as they once did. I am lucky to see some of my friends once a month, we all have different schedules, so sometimes it's hard to get together easily.

• Author
What makes you think your friends are shady? It's important not judge true friends by how often you see them. Most of my friends I do not see or talk to very often, but when we do, it's like we've never been apart. :love: Life happens, as you get older your friends will have careers, relationships and kids preventing them from seeing you as often as they once did. I am lucky to see some of my friends once a month, we all have different schedules, so sometimes it's hard to get together easily.

I do agree with you on that. I just am always the one trying to put forth effort in seeing how they're doing & trying to catch up. If I don't contact them we won't speak. I find it shady when you hang out with your boyfriend instead of coming to my birthday dinner & lying about it. Birthdays are once a year. I think you can set aside that one night for a friend. Or finding out one if your close friends is moving to another state via twitter but had told other friends about it. Makes me feel as if they don't consider me a close friend anymore.