I have two kinds of friends

jefflaw

I have a small group of friends...friends from the industry I work in that are for lack of a better word: nerds, we're all into Sci Fi and visual art and they are good people. Most are carefree, listen to whatever music they feel like, Like what they like and that's it.

Then I have other old friends from college, newer friends from the last 8 years, musician-types, filmmaker-types that seem to be narcissistic, cynical types. Listen to the "cool" bands, knock other more popular bands, make-fun-of-everything, Isn't Sarcasm and Irony the new Cool? Well, those types. Dare i say "Hipster" but who knows what that really means, I get a long with everyone so I have all types of friends but these two types are the majority of the types in my social circle.

Some could probably hang with others, some probably couldn't. It's like two different worlds, I can totally blend into both.

Anyone else have social situations like this? How do you balance?

rushingwaters

I have 2 circles of friends too.

I've previously tried to get them all together and they were alright in each other's presence. But when I suggested another big group hang-out, some of them responded with not so much enthusiasm. So I just hang out with them separately. But there are 1 or 2 friends who are in the "overlapping" regions of my 2 circles so that's always nice.

• Like 1

I have five distinct circles of friends, and they each correspond to different parts of my personality.

I had them all together at my house warming party, and it was fine, but I like being able to be that version of me with each group.

Nerdy me, super goal oriented hyper-competitive me, let loose crazy sports fan me, calm focused martial arts me, etc.

Note that some of my circles are would seem to conflict with each other.

There are a few friends that are in 2 of my circles, but none that are in all of them.

• Like 2

I have three imaginary friends. Does that count......?

• Like 2

I can totally relate to that. There are two big circles, namely college friends and all friends apart of them. I could divide the group of non-college friends even further, but these sub-groups often overlap and people know each other. However, my college and non-college friends hardly get together, if they do at all. Basically there's zero contact between these circles, also no familiarity. But I enjoy both. I guess it really is a normal thing...