With "friends" like these....

lovingone

I just had to share the ridiculousness of these people....

Yesterday I got a baby shower invitation from a lady that was a childhood friend of mine for her sisters baby shower in a neighboring state (5 hour drive from where I live).

Problem number one is that I haven't seen or spoken to either one of these people in about 13 years!

Problem number two is that my mom died in 2011 and although I didn't tell them about it because communication was lost years before, my dad saw there mother at a grocery store and told her. So I am sure both women know about it by now.

Neither one of them sent me a sympathy card. But now I am sent this baby shower card and expected to get a gift??????????

Oh and it's this lady's sisters third baby and I have never gotten a shower card from her before that I can remember.

I'm convinced this is how this family operates, they just brag about whats going on in their lives and don't really care about me.

• Author

I decided that I will go to the dollar store and get an all ocassion note card for 50 cents, have my dad sign it for both of us, have him write a cheque from his account for the gift, and have him address the envelope.....

So maybe when this woman gets a plain card for her baby shower, signed by a man, with a cheque from a man inside it, she will get the point that I don't want anything to do with her!

• Author

If anyone missed the point....

Haven't had contact with these people in 13 years

Out of the blue I get some baby shower invite card

never got a sympathy card for my moms daeth wihich would be the logical first step IF they were trying to reestablish contact.

And I'm the big meanie?????????

How about not botherieng someone you haven't seen or spoken to in 13 years?

• Author

How do you ruin someones shower Radu when you go ahead and give them a gift, when they didn't give you a sympathy card.

I'm just making the gift from a man ( which is odd for a baby shower usually attended by women) So she and her sister can see how inapproriate it is hit up someone they haven't had contact with in a decade for a gift when they totally bypassed that perons lost of a loveone.

• Author

Ya TaraMaiden I am just about done after the year I spent changing my mother's diapers while she was dying of cancer.

Was I suppose to flash a smile back to you, since you sent me one?

I decided that I will go to the dollar store and get an all ocassion note card for 50 cents, have my dad sign it for both of us, have him write a cheque from his account for the gift, and have him address the envelope.....

So maybe when this woman gets a plain card for her baby shower, signed by a man, with a cheque from a man inside it, she will get the point that I don't want anything to do with her!

I don't really understand how having your father mail them a gift will convey the point that you want nothing to do with her. I doubt they're going to understand it, either. They don't seem to be very conscientious or thoughtful people. A more clear message would be to completely ignore the invitation and send nothing.

I understand why you're offended by the invitation. It was rude in several ways. They clearly don't actually expect you to attend the shower, they were purely soliciting a gift from you. So why reward them with one?

Ya TaraMaiden I am just about done after the year I spent changing my mother's diapers while she was dying of cancer.

Was I suppose to flash a smile back to you, since you sent me one?

Please don't be snappy.

First of all, I'm not psychic, so how would I have known that....?

Secondly, I did much the same for my father, when he was terminally ill..

He had cancer of the bladder, an enlarged prostate, a fractured vertebrae, and severe heart problems.

He died in 2010, of all manner of complications, and that was not easy to watch either.

So I feel for you....

On the face of it, you began a thread with a 'gripe' and seemed to answer your own dilemma perfectly well, to your own satisfaction, within the next post, so it looked done and dusted.

Sorry if I found humour in that.

Hugs.

I would just throw the invitation in the garbage and forget about it.

I agree completely. She's fishing for gifts, likely because it's her 3rd shower and her friends are not buying the same high dollar stuff as before.

Don't let it get to you, just forget it.

• Like 1

To me, it sounds like you might feel hurt by her or something else is going on here, not just simply about their audacity or else you'd just laugh at their ridiculousness.

The best course of action is to simply ignore, don't send anything. For someone who isn't a relative of yours, it really is ridiculous for them to send a baby shower invite after not hearing from either for over a decade.

I have a relative that I went to high school with and tried to stay in touch with over the last decade, but she never reciprocated, although she didn't have a problem staying in touch with other people in our family / people we went to school with. And I recently saw her at a party and she decided she wanted to add me on Facebook. I skirted the issue and didn't say I would add her, but she sent an invite anyway. I'm not going to add her. Why? She's snubbed me for the last 10 years! And I will admit, I was hurt when she didn't invite me to her recent wedding but hit me up with a wedding shower invite at the last minute (which I did not respond to or go to)...I spent a lot of my childhood with this person. I don't typically hold onto grudges but come on, I no longer have interest in staying in touch.

Anyway, point is I'm just ignoring it and that's that, moving on, and I suggest you do the same, try to let it go, you don't need that in your life. :)

Edited by RachR
todreaminblue
If anyone missed the point....

Haven't had contact with these people in 13 years

Out of the blue I get some baby shower invite card

never got a sympathy card for my moms daeth wihich would be the logical first step IF they were trying to reestablish contact.

And I'm the big meanie?????????

How about not botherieng someone you haven't seen or spoken to in 13 years?

Because soemtimes life goes by that quickly some people drift away, you deal with your own life and your own problems and then out of the blue one day an old friend contacts you, you dont turn that person away, its a chance to reconnect, its a chance to connect with someone who maybe meant something to you or to them,you meant something to them.

what has happened in seperate lives since losing contact is not important what is important is that old friends can be new friends again,it could possibly enrich your life..they are sharing an upcoming new life with you.....so make it a new life for you too...grudges are meant to go away not old friends and a birth is a special blessing to share........best wishes....deb