Is it inappropriate to befriend a married woman?

I will give you a synopsis of the story. I frequent the gym and generally social with most people there. For several months I've seen this tall attractive woman working out there several times around my time. Just a few weeks I saw her taking a bunch of 45s off a machine. I decide to help her out and jokes "You didn't do this all by yourself did you?" She laughed. I help her out, and as she walks away she introduces herself to me.

The first night at the gym I met her we talked quite a bit. Similarities in terms of our passion for working out, both into watching MMA. I'm 29, she's 30. Like her, I am new to the area I moved at but unlike me, she is not from the US. She mentioned her husband before and I jokingly said to her that I'm jealous because she is sexy.

So she gave me her #. We don't blow each other up, just when are you going to the gym texts at sporadic times. I didn't see her for two days and she texted me today asking what I was working out and I ended up helping her train some since I have many years of experience in weightlifting and strength sports.

So I will say it was refreshing to hang out with her and talk more. She asked about my life and my hobbies and likewise. She even told me to come to her car and talk. I will say we both genuinely feel happy that we met one another to talk, but I am actually attracted to her. Not sure how strong, but if she were single I'd be on it.

I am just wondering if it is inappropriate for me to even be talking to her. I've never been in this situation before. Having moved where I move now I actually got out a relationship over six months ago after a LDR went sour. I am moving on but right now I have not met anyone yet.

She knows I find her attractive, but I'm not saying overt things. I even restrained myself touching her stated something like that to her, but she is cool with my company. Just wondering because I don't want to step on anyones toes but I believe neither of us will bring it to that level.

NoMagicBullet

So I will say it was refreshing to hang out with her and talk more. She asked about my life and my hobbies and likewise. She even told me to come to her car and talk. I will say we both genuinely feel happy that we met one another to talk, but I am actually attracted to her. Not sure how strong, but if she were single I'd be on it.

This is why continued contact is inappropriate. You want a lot more than platonic friendship with her. She probably likes the attention, too. But you are seriously playing with fire here if you continue the contact, as this situation has waaaaay to much potential to become an emotional and even physical affair.

She knows I find her attractive, but I'm not saying overt things. I even restrained myself touching her stated something like that to her, but she is cool with my company. Just wondering because I don't want to step on anyones toes but I believe neither of us will bring it to that level.

You're kidding yourself. This is a pre-emptive excuse to continue interacting with her... the start of a very slippery slope that puts you, her, and her marriage all at risk. Respect yourself, respect her marriage, and get the hell away from her now -- believe me, it's for the best for both of you.

• Author
This is why continued contact is inappropriate. You want a lot more than platonic friendship with her. She probably likes the attention, too. But you are seriously playing with fire here if you continue the contact, as this situation has waaaaay to much potential to become an emotional and even physical affair.

You're kidding yourself. This is a pre-emptive excuse to continue interacting with her... the start of a very slippery slope that puts you, her, and her marriage all at risk. Respect yourself, respect her marriage, and get the hell away from her now -- believe me, it's for the best for both of you.

Thanks for commenting on this for me man.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with this liaison - provided you made it clear that you'd like to meet her husband too, and maybe go for a drink with him some time....

If she resists or objects, prevaricates or hesitates - then you KNOW this is inappropriate.

• Like 1