Sexual Harassment at Work and its effects

sporteguy03

sporteguy03

Hey Everyone,

I posted message recently on another part of the site seeking how to meet women. One of the answers I got was to try co-workers for friendship. I work at Disney and where I work we recently had two male workers fired for sexual harassment.

The company gave a refersher class to the workers on the issues of sexual harassment. Unfortunately the accusors never told their harassers to stop to begin with.

The accusors were a group of college program girls who like to flirt.I feel awkward around them, there are only a few straight guys in my department most of them are homosexual and it seems no matter what these guys do its OK'd by the girls. These girls love to hug and touch guys even with visitors around them. I try to be professional while I work and avoid childly things. I don't want to be rude to them when they approach me but it has become a witchhunt as another worker put it. The full-timers who are in their 30s-50's are angered that these girls ousted two fellow full-timers and have warned me to be careful. The manager is no better then the girls as he brings in flowers for these girls and also hugs them in public view. I'm not here to fire people, is there a nice way to say no and be professional about it? I don't want a confrontation as I could up end like my two co-workers. What is your view on hugging someone while you work?

Sexual harrassment goes both ways; it is not only carried out by men, but by women as well. Most definitions of sexual harrassment include 'inappropriate touching'. Warn them as you are required to do by the guidelines of your work You don't have to say that they're harrassing you right off, just tell them you're not comfortable with what they do and ask them to stop.

What is your view on hugging someone while you work?

I've worked with some genuinely affectionate people in my time and didn't have a problem with them being that way if we were friendly (nothing even close to sexual at all) but since it's now such a big deal, I think it's wise to avoid just to be on the safe side.

StunnaWitFlyIce

this is a job for you. Proffesionalism should be carried out through the work place. You have your own space and they have theres. these two gurls sound like they both are tempting traps. Dont touch, hi five, even compliment them. Stay stricktly proffesional around them doing only wats required, dont start conversations of sex or feminine clothing around them and dont stare. Other than that just stay in a strait path with them and dont get hung up in what happend in the past but how you can remain at your job in the present. Dont obsess over this either just be calm and respectful and if they invade u just snitch hey as long as your eliminating a problem. dont TRY to get them fired please it always backfires when people try to get others blamed for sexual harrasment.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in a terrible world where honest friendship and admiration in male-female relationships are being destroyed because some people cannot control their egos (this goes for the harrassers and the the people who are over-sensitive or have some sort of vendetta). :(

tattoomytoe

i am very lucky to work in a very relaxed amiable atmosphere. and i do work with a lot of older men, and we DO banter a lot. There is one guy that just sits and watches me for like 5 mins. he says, oh i am just getting my fill of sarah before i go out today.

I DO know he thinks i am cute and he and the other guys tell me if i look really good in a certain outfit. I do not mind what so ever.

Unfortunately there are those prudish peolpe out there...and i knew a sue-crazy woman, who sued her docs for malpractice, sued her comp. for sexual harrassment....anything she could do...... And She seemed like the laid back easy going person, but then she would snap and turn megabitch on people.

You do need to be careful and make sure that everything you do or say, is not taken in the wrong context...which dampens the work place sometimes....but iyt is better thanm getting canned.

This is an extremely touchy subject that I had to deal with recently. The person who was doing the harassing was spoken with on numerous occasions. They were a good employee and performed the job duties better than any other employee. But I had to fire him. My company will not be sued because we retain an employee who is acting in this manner. He had several warnings and proceeded to say how he didn't have to listen to me because I'm female . I co own the company and he knew I would be his boss prior to him accepting the position. This is a touchy subject. On one hand the employee has the right to not be harassed and on the other hand as soon as the employer is notified the employer must take action or the employer can end up in litigation. I also believe that some people take sexual harassment alittle far and make false accusations for attention and/or future lawsuits. Our world has become one of lawsuits. I guess its easier to sue someone rather than make an honest living.

Oh I forgot to say this. I know there are legitimate cases of sexual harassment but I think the majority of them are not legitimate. It usually ends ( In My Opinion) up being someone who was rejected or because of other issues that the person complaining is mad toward the one being complained about. I've even seen people sexually harass if you want to use that term a man by making sexual comments and then scream sexual harassment as soon as the man replies back.

Sporte,

There is a big difference between asking a female out and sexual harassment. I've encountered both and they don't come across as being the same. One is a guy asking if you would like to go out for dinner sometime....the other is a guy saying 'Great A$$...can I get some?'.

I work in a shipyard on a Naval base and just let it go. I don't care...nor am I offended. Some women would be.

Asking someone out you meet on the job, especially as large as the Disney employment team is in Orlando, is not a problem. Only if you didn't take 'no' for an answer or were coming on sexually WHILE AT WORK would it be considered harassment.

By the way.....how are you liking the Orlando area? I hope the job is going well for you!!!!

DayumQuitPlayin

When I was working at a Japanese Restaurant, all the employees would date eachother. It was krazy. Then I quit..but i have friends there.. so one nite I decided to visit.. and i found out that two of my friends are getting married.. i was shocc'd ..they date new ppl that starts workn thea.. n now i hear engagments ..etc..

But like those otha ppl said. There is a difference between asking someone out.. and sexual harrassment. But like many people say.. its not wise to go out wit ppl u work wit.. cuz its usually a bad idea. And most Managers, Employers would either fire..or relocated one of u ..so that you two would be seperated.