A polite way to distance one person in a clique of friends?

VeronicaRoss

I've recently befriended a few people in a pretty tight circle of friends.

Unfortunately I've run into a major snag. One of the most dominate personalities of them and I went out socially for the second time and she spent the entire meal passing horrible smelling gas. At first I thought it was a group of older ladies next to us, but they left, another couple took their place, the restaurant emptied to just our tables and the stink not only continued the poor woman at the other table turned around when a new round of stench filled the air. So it was clear to me it was my acquaintance. She never said a word, never explained apologized or held it in. I asked the woman who introduced me to her if this was something she did, or if she had some kind of medical problem and she said in the 15 years she's known her, that's never happened.

This woman is also can be very emotionally aggressive. She gets on the topic of people she doesn't like and gets very angry, it's very unpleasant to be around too. She and I are in a similar type of work, I thought we'd be useful acquaintances but now I can't even imagine bringing her name up with a colleague, let alone recommending her.

I'm clear about not wanting any more engagement with her but she's very close to two people I like quite a bit.

Any advice on how to manage this?