Friends & Drama

Hi all,

I'm sorry this is a little long. I just kinda want to have a little rant and get stuff off my chest so read at your disgression :)

I moved from my home country to the US 3 years ago. At the time it was great because there was about 12 of us moving around the same time so I had lots of people there I was already friends with and of course we met more people who joined the group shortly after.

I lived with one of my bestfriends near downtown and all was great.

I met a really great girl early on too so that was great and I met lots of people through her too. So all was well.

So I guess you know this is where the twist comes...

My group of friends are always very gossipy, there's always a lot of drama which isnt really my style. For that reason I distance myself a bit from the drama but since I'm not taking one persons side or the other it had the opposite effect of what I thought it would and NONE of them are really interested in being friends anymore.

I also found out a rumour had been started about me, that I had been hooking up with one of the other guys girlfriends and took a lot of heat for that. I denied it of courses and then just walked away from anyone stirring things up but again this apparently made them think the rumors were true.

They said they were just protecting the guy who's girlfriend it was and wouldnt want him to find out and then they went and told him and he freaked at me! So not sure how that's protecting their friend, it was just all to stir up drama.

As it turns out the girl WAS hooking up with one of the group but not me. Weirdly, the guy she hooked up with is loved by the group now that they all know the truth but I'm still treated very awkwardly by them all even though I had no part in it. It just makes no sense.

The next part was my room-mate. We were good friends but he was single and getting very depressed about it. He drank a lot and began to get very angry towards me when drinking. I still was the one getting him out of the trouble he was getting into when he was drinking. It was costing me a lot of money too as he was always borrowing money or not picking up his bills. One time he almost broke my wrist when I was trying to get him home because he was out of his mind drunk and had been thrown out of a bar but the next day he'd remember none of it.

He finally met a girl. She doesn't treat him well at all and she took a dislike to me as I think she knew I could see it but she had him wrapped around her little finger. Long story short he fell out with me because of it. Infact he doesn't talk to any of our group anymore, just tags around with her. It is what it is, he was willing to give up everyones friendship just to get any girl at all so it's on him really but it still sucks. He left our house in a bad way, broke our lease, I had to cover the whole rent to the end of our lease to get out of it, he sold our car and took a bunch of other stuff from the house too. It was all pretty crap.

The last part was the breakup from my girlfriend. Of course it sucked but I'm over it but also... since I met a lot of people through her, I also lost those friends in the breakup.

The hard part now is I really have no close friends, just lots of acquaintances. I'm ok, I am well able to look after myself but sometimes it sucks.

For example, tonight there is a big christmas party for all those friends. I know about it but if I show up I'll have to deal with all those people and my roommate and it's just gonna be horribly awkward so I'm just not interested in going. It's not a fun environment, I just feel like there is tension with everyone.

The other part I find hard is this. I've gone on a few dates lately and I've met a nice girl. Its at the stage now though where I've met a few of her friends and feel like I need to introduce her to mine... but who?

This is the hard part right now. I meet someone, it goes well but when it comes to the friends thing I think they find it a little weird I am not introducing them to anyone and it seems to make them think either I'm hiding them or something else is going on and things start to go stale.

So I don't really know what to do about that.

Anyway, thats my story (rant). Sorry this was so long.