i spent the evening with a homeless guy

Darkangelism

Darkangelism

ok i just tested my charity and ablity with homeless guys. A homeless guy named Pal just approached me on the street when i went to the store. He talked to me and then we bought a 6 pack, and went to his "basement". Yes this was stupid and dangerous. we talked a bit, i was there for maybe a half hour then we went to the deli and bought sandwiches. He basically was real cool, knows a lot of people. He isnt all that bad and is a good begger, i dnt give up $$ easily, but he pulled it off. Says if i ever need anything he will help me out, go to jail for me or something.

ok, some of the motherly figures on here will yell at me, others will ask questions. Go ahead, this was nuts.

• Author
Darkangelism

No, i only tell people that have electricity....well actually he does, but no computer, let alone a chck. i do tell all my friends. only one has joined :( .

If you're decent, you'll get the homeless guy a computer and a girlfriend. That's the least you can do for a guy who says he'll go to jail for you...if it ever came to that! Cripes!

• Author
Darkangelism

i dont have the money or the compassion to do it, i bought him beer and food, and spent 4X the amount that i spent on homeless people in the last year, at great personal risk, i need something in return, more then him going to jail, i want to write a book about him, earn some $$ of it. dont mind me im drunk. Really im happy im didnt get raped in the ass.

Originally posted by Darkangelism

Really im happy im didnt get raped in the ass.

But, if you would have did gotten am raped in the ass, you would have sold more copies of your book. :confused:

• Author
Darkangelism

No cause then i would have killed him in his sleep and wouldnt get to interview him. I think im gonna talk to my african lit professor, talk her into giving me extra credit.

No cause then i would have killed him in his sleep and wouldnt get to interview him.

If he was raping you, he wouldn't be sleeping :)

I think im gonna talk to my african lit professor, talk her into giving me extra credit.

What's your logic, was the homeless guy black?

• Author
Darkangelism

after he raped me. yes he was black. well i will write an paper about my experience and not fearing him b/c he is black(a central theme of my class)

• Author
Darkangelism

Dyer when you get to collegeg, get really drunk then post, cause it is fun. right now im so FUBAR, but dont drink 3 beers in 10 mns with a homesless guy the alcohol goes to your head.

*DA raises hand*

Teacher, I spent some time with a poor black man, and he didn't sodomize me! He even said he'd go to jail for me, and we know how black people like to go to jail! Hey, would you mind turning my B+ to an A- ?

:p:bunny: You're too much.

• Author
Darkangelism
Originally posted by dyermaker

*DA raises hand*

Teacher, I spent some time with a poor black man, and he didn't sodomize me! He even said he'd go to jail for me, and we know how black people like to go to jail! Hey, would you mind turning my B+ to an A- ?

:p:bunny: You're too much.

lmao, that might actually work, my prof is crazy,Pal(the homeless guy) is more sane.

• Author
Darkangelism

crap that dude is good, i had given him my phome number never expecyed him to call, he needed me to pay his cab fare,says he will pay me when he gets his veterns check tomorrow and will pay me back, i doubt it, but the **** was worth it.

• Author
Darkangelism

well i guess thats what i get for playing liberal and handing out cash...damn i feel used, id rather he rapd me, then at least id have gotten something in return. no more homeless people will get jack from me, im going to play hardass i dont give a F*ck republican and treat them like the S*it they are.

HokeyReligions

Having had a brief stint as a homeless person myself----

Those homeless people who ask for booze or cash I ignore. Others who ask for help - I will help. I have brought coats and blankets to the 'regulars' that I see downtown. I have bought them a meal. I will never buy booze for anyone, nor go with them to their lair, crib, home, ---whatever you want to call it. That is dangerous! I'm glad that you are okay.

I have sat and talked, and shared a meal, with some homeless people--but we were in public. Many of these street people are mentally ill -- either from genetics or circumstance it doesn't matter, their thinking processes are not functioning properly and probably never will. Some may only be off by a tiny bit -- and their education, vocabulary, reasoning and thinking abilities seem just like anyone elses--until you get to know them and find out that there is one cog in the wheel that is out of kilter and that one cog is what they need to pull themselves off the street and rejoing mainstream society.

Others, like me, have been beaten down by life or circumstance and have hit a bad patch for a while but will pull themselves out--with the help and charity of others. Through shelters and charitable organizations, and individual charity I was able to go from living in a '73 VW bug to owning my own home, working, and writing to you good people now! :)

I, for one, appreciate the effort and expense and the risk that you took and I hope that you think about what you learned about Pal and about yourself without the influence of others who did not take the same chance.

For some, if you want to get individual stories and talk to people with experiences vastly different from your own -- do some volunteer work at area shelters or food banks. Talk to those who come in and ask for help and then ride along with other volunteers who go out into the streets and try to help those who, for whatever reason, do not come in and seek help for themselves.

Thanks for posting that Hokey. It proves that some people get down on their luck and just need a friendly boost to get them back in the saddle.

We have really good programs within our city which isn't just a 'pat on the head' handout, but really designed to get people and families back into the mainstream. I think other cities may be lacking in having such a plan.

I always understand because when my husband walked out on us six years ago, I got stuck with all the bills and just about went broke myself. Most people are just a couple of paychecks away of being homeless themselves if something went terribly wrong. I've always had good friends to borrow from....but some people don't.

DA,

You are such a nice guy. Be careful and know not ALL people out there are equally as nice. You always have to keep your guard up.

• Author
Darkangelism

I think i am equating my actions to being depressed and kinda being like i dnt give a damn about the risk.

Fedup&givingup

i dont have the money or the compassion to do it, i bought him beer and food, and spent 4X the amount that i spent on homeless people in the last year, at great personal risk, i need something in return, more then him going to jail, i want to write a book about him, earn some $$ of it. dont mind me im drunk. Really im happy im didnt get raped in the ass.

Shame, Shame, Shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was SOOO dangerous, and I hope you learned your lesson, young man! (he he). Seriously, you are right, you could have gotten raped, or knifed, or any number of horrible other things. Glad you did not.

You knowing that you put yourself in a dangerous situation I hope is enough to keep you from doing it again. If you pass this man on a regular basis, he is going to want to carry on with you. It's like feeding a dog, for lack of a better analogy. Maybe drop off a sandwich with him now and again, but do NOT hang out with him.

HokeyReligions

I think i am equating my actions to being depressed and kinda being like i dnt give a damn about the risk.

DA; Depression is a serious illness with a lot of different degrees of seriousness. One way that people suffering from this disease find to deal with some of the anxiety is by confronting their fears. You may have some unnamed anxiety that at some point you may be homeless or you may be looking for a 'worst case' scenario and by confronting it with a homeless person you are actually taking a positive step in your own health and future. You may feel like you want to give up, but don't know how or when. Or you could be challenging yourself by putting yourself at risk and that was your main goal, not actually talking with someone who is homeless, but using that homeless person as a way to shout for some relief and help with your depression and anxiety.

Are you being treated for depression? It takes a long time to get medications correct and in built into your system so that the physical aspect of the depression is being treated accurately and some therapy to help you figure out what is depression and what is normal anxiety and how to look out for yourself during the initial treatment phase.

Don't give up and don't beat yourself up for not caring right now. I used to do that. I was mad at myself because I reached a point where I honestly did not care about anything or anyone. I sustained myself with my anger. Then I got some help and got past that point in my life.

I think that was very nice of you. Every time I see a bum ( begging or not) I slip them $20.00...... it makes me feel good, to do something for a lost soul. and just a small amount of money to me could be a couple meals to them or a couple cold ones.but if I made them happy I feel good about it.

I feel bad for bums most of the one's I have meet should probably have psychiatric care or rehab and they have just given up life it's sad. Now that is Rock bottom. Makes you feel grateful for the little things we have and often bitch about.

I think they are pretty harmless most of the time.......The Bums in key west are awesome they put on street shows or give you directions for a couple bucks..If i were a bum it would be in Margiritaville.

• Author
Darkangelism

no i am not being treated for depression, i kinda just suck it up, which is not the proper way to deal with it i know.

I ever so often just kinda snap and do something completely out of character, this time was just a bit more dangerous, and my parents wont know.

Im starting to make myself sick from the stress of dealing with my actions. As for handing out money, that was strange of me, i spent somewhere in the range of 4-8X the amount that i have given to homeless people in the last year out in one night. Kinda messes up my budget, oh well i will be eating pizza every meal now for a week, to force myself back onto the proper budget.

hurtingandconfused

I too had an experience with a homeless guy. After coming back from hollywood I stopped by in L.A. to buy some food at a taco place. When I first entered the restaurant the homeless guy asked for change. I said that I would get him on the way out. I bought 4 tacos and could not finish them all. I didn't want any food to go to waste so I offered the last taco to the homeless guy. He declined the offer, so I had to throw it away. I kept my word, I gave him some money as I left the restaurant. (The only reason why I gave him money was because I told him I would)

My second experience was in Mexico. I went down there this weekend. There is so much poverty down there it's so sad. I gave money to kids who offered gum. But I knew that I had to stop because there was just too many people that needed help. I was not able to help all of them. It's just sad how the world depends on poverty.

• Author
Darkangelism

im starting to detest homless people now, real ones, not like hokey,ones that have been on the streets for years, they are scum, even if he was nice, he was scum. my thoughts were stupidity->shock->sad->anger

i know that if i walked out found him and killed him, i could get away with it, i could say that he tried to mug me, nobody would ever believe anything different. I wont do this, its a vent, but my stupidity annoys me.

Some of them are hard to understand I know...Like the guy not wanting to take the taco from you when you we're trying to feed him I don't understand that....Once I gave one some money and said God bless you and he didn't even thank me or seem to care that I helped him that really upset me not even a thank you... Made me want to take it back.

• Author
Darkangelism

Thats why you should give out money all the time, once in a while is fne, specially if they know how to work it, otherwise save your money, or give to poor college students like me. :D