Friend hasn't contacted me in the several days since we had an akward outing.

MercuryMorrison1

MercuryMorrison1

A few nights ago I was invited out by my friend to go with her and her friends to a bar. I was the only dude there.

Anyway I haven't told her yet, but I'm suffering from depression and I am currently seeing a counseller for my issues. I try to avoid drinking as it usually leads to me acting out. But I am also someone who has social anxiety, therefore I feel as though I need to drink when out with groups of people just so I can be somewhat social.

So long story short, she invited me out...And I wound up drinking close to a 1/2 bottle of tequila topped off with a few beers, and my inner feelings started to leak threw to surface. I started feeling bad...Then I started feeling REALLY bad, and before I knew it I was practially slumped over our table fighting back the feelings of anger and despair. She kept asking me if I was ok, to wich I would cheerly respond, ''just fine!''.

Anyway, I wound up getting drunk enough that I started feeling the angry and paranoid that people were looking at me, at which point I though one of the employee's of the bar was staring at me, to which I called him out on it infront of everyone. Needless to say, nothing came of it. But the mood between all of us had changed...I knew I had ruined the night. So I excused myself for the evening and left without saying a word.

The next day I texted her apologizing to her and explaining to her why I acted that way...She hasn't responded yet.

Do ya'll think I ruined the friendship? Her and I have been friends since Jr. High close to 10 years now. I know that I acted like an ass and I should have done the responsible thing and just not drank at all...But I feel compelled to drink in those situations to avoid the feelings of being the 5th wheel of the group.

It creeped her out. I'd just be honest about it and tell her that you're probably a good friend when your sober, but drinking right now is probably a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...

She seems like the one strike you're out kind of girl.

Not too many people left in today's society who are willing to give second chances.

I second the AA contact.

You drink and you lose control. Simple. Drinking may numb some feelings but it's totally the wrong way to go about things....

You need help from people who've been there, done that.

They're an amazing bunch of folk and some really good, kind hearts there.

Please - find a local group and go.

The first step is the hardest, but one you'll wish you'd taken a long time ago.