LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

A Girl I "Friend-Zoned" is Flying to See Me This Weekend...

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2012, 2:22 AM   #1
Established Member

A Girl I "Friend-Zoned" is Flying to See Me This Weekend...

So...a couple months ago I met a girl on a plane, and we got along great and chatted for the entire flight. We exchanged numbers and emails. Initially, she was very aggressive and constantly texted and emailed me. Due to the distance, I wasn't really interested in anything with her. After a couple weeks of light casual conversation, she brought up the question of us dating...I straight up told her I wasn't interested, was never interested at any point, and probably will never be interested...so we kept emailing here and there for the next month or so...she focused on hardcore online dating and I played the role of friend...

So now she's flying out to CA to hang out with me this weekend...and funny thing is, she's also meeting a dude she met from OLD who lives in CA...and part of me kinda wishes she'd just hang out with him the whole time so I don't have to drive out to LA or get a hotel...

I would offer that the friend-zone is not gender specific...but do any of you guys actually have women actively in your "friend-zone"...?
Confirmation Bias - considering only evidence favorable to one's own position
USMCHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:24 AM   #2

There is no way she is flying to California to visit a guy she met on a plane and hasn't seen since that she thinks she's just friends with. No way.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:26 AM   #3
Established Member

EDIT: And to the women, would you ever do something like this, that is, fly out for a weekend to hang out with a guy who doesn't want to date you...?
Old 24th July 2012, 2:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCHokie View Post
EDIT: And to the women, would you ever do something like this, that is, fly out for a weekend to hang out with a guy who doesn't want to date you...?
Absolutely not. Never, ever, ever. The only way I'd ever do this is if he'd led me on to believe he was interested in dating.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:36 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Absolutely not. Never, ever, ever. The only way I'd ever do this is if he'd led me on to believe he was interested in dating.
I pretty much have to agree with Star here
Old 24th July 2012, 2:40 AM   #6

Quote:
So now she's flying out to CA to hang out with me this weekend...and funny thing is, she's also meeting a dude she met from OLD who lives in CA...and part of me kinda wishes she'd just hang out with him the whole time so I don't have to drive out to LA or get a hotel...
Don't get used Hokie.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:41 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I pretty much have to agree with Star here
Yea, I would too. However, this is definitely not the case here. On multiple occasions, I have made it clear that I have no interest in dating her. Our conversations nowadays entail her telling me about all her failed dates, and occasionally I'll put on my LS hat and give her the scoop. And I'll usually mope to her about my own apathy and indifference to dating based from my insecurity. There are no sexually suggestive words exchanged and nothing remotely related to us dating each other.
Old 24th July 2012, 2:43 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
Don't get used Hokie.
Well, she keeps telling me how her goal is to wingwoman for me so that I'll be properly occupied while she's on her date with random OLD guy...
Old 24th July 2012, 2:46 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Yea, I would too. However, this is definitely not the case here. On multiple occasions, I have made it clear that I have no interest in dating her. Our conversations nowadays entail her telling me about all her failed dates, and occasionally I'll put on my LS hat and give her the scoop. And I'll usually mope to her about my own apathy and indifference to dating based from my insecurity. There are no sexually suggestive words exchanged and nothing remotely related to us dating each other.
In that case, she is either crazy or has a hidden agenda of her own (which is not wanting to date you).
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:50 AM   #10
Established Member

Repeat after me ' thanks but no thanks'. I know you're insecure but is it really hard or you to say no?

- Bobsacramento
xpaperxcutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 2:55 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaperxcutx View Post
Repeat after me ' thanks but no thanks'. I know you're insecure but is it really hard or you to say no?
I don't know how insecurity factors into this...but was it necessarily wrong for me to tell her sure, let's hang out? If she lived down the street, would it have been different?
Old 24th July 2012, 2:58 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
I don't know how insecurity factors into this...but was it necessarily wrong for me to tell her sure, let's hang out? If she lived down the street, would it have been different?
But the fact remains you don't live down the street. How does a hypothetical actually help you in this case?
you're actually having doubts aboit meeting this girl. Isn't that sufficient for you to take a raincheck?
xpaperxcutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 3:02 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaperxcutx View Post
But the fact remains you don't live down the street. How does a hypothetical actually help you in this case?
you're actually having doubts aboit meeting this girl. Isn't that sufficient for you to take a raincheck?
Oh, well, it's not that I have doubts...of course I'd like to go out for a change, but part of me also would rather just be lazy and let the other guy take her out.

But I just found it weird that someone would actually do this...is it possible to have truly platonic opposite gender friends?
Old 24th July 2012, 3:04 AM   #14
Established Member

It's only truly possible if neither is 100% not interested in anything more.
Old 24th July 2012, 3:08 AM   #15
Established Member

Basically, this is what you do in these situations:

Girl: Let's hang out this weekend!

You: OK, but just to be clear again, I see as only as friends. If you are down with that then let's do it.