Would you explain things?

In case that your friendship ended on a sour note, with one or both of you hating each other or being hurt due to a misunderstanding or miscommunication from one or both, would you later write a letter to your friend clearing out the misunderstanding, even though you may not wish to rekindle the friendship? If yes, then how long should you wait before sending the letter?

Sure. Think about it this way - if you don't say what you are feeling, you will live with the regret for not being honest.

I'd do it now. Why wait?

• Author

I think of waiting because...

- Time allows him to cool off

- Time allows myself to let go of worries about how he responds to my honest thoughts, if he chooses to respond at all.

I think of waiting because...

- Time allows him to cool off

- Time allows myself to let go of worries about how he responds to my honest thoughts, if he chooses to respond at all.

Both of those are about him though. Who cares if HE is cooled off? You have no control over whether he's cooled off, and no control over how he responds.

You already said you don't want to keep the friendship, so writing your thoughts is about YOU. It's ok to do this for YOU.

I am in this situation now and frankly wouldn't bother. The friendship is over and I hope to never see the person again. What would be the point? It is not going to change anything. It is a waste of time and effort.

No I would not waste time after-the-fact to explain why the friendship ended. Did you end it or did your friend end it?

The only reason to contact your friend at this point would be if you wanted to reconcile and apologize. Otherwise there is no reason to contact your friend anymore. What's done is done. The friendship is over.

I will tell you that when my former friend randomly texted me recently -- 2 years after she ended the friendship -- it caused me so much stress that I had to post about it here in order to process it - a stupid text from someone who no longer wants my friendship. There was no reason for her to reach out to text me other than to say she found an old pic of one of my cats on her phone, and then she wished me well. Why was that text necessary? It wasn't. If she had emailed me to explain why she ended the friendship (which wasn't necessary because we both knew why it ended), I would have deleted her email and not responded because my thoughts would be, "what's the point?!"

Don't contact your friend. For both your benefit.

Edited by writergal
  • Author
Did you end it or did your friend end it?

My friend ended it last week.

He carries some misconceptions about me and assumptions about the real cause of conflict.

Edited by Shohane

Without knowing the details, it doesn't sound like you two were compatible as friends. Incompatibility can mean many things to a friendship. If he carried around misconceptions about you that you may have tried to clear up then the issue is his, not yours .

Sorry that this happened but maybe it is for the best.

My friend ended it.

He carries some misconceptions about me and assumptions about the real cause of conflict.

• Author

Can we private-message each other on here?? -_- I think I need some confidential advice...

• Author

I wonder how.... I clicked on your profile but there's no option to send PM...

Under the "contact info" tab there should be an option to send me a message.

I think you're correct. Well, feel free to post here what you would have PM'd me. I'm sure others will happily pitch in their advice too.