Giving best man speech

henderson14

henderson14

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided on here. Basically I'm giving a best man speech for a friends wedding and am not a good public speaker. I've been looking at you tube videos and every single one is pretty good, nothing like what I will be able to give. This makes me even more apprehensive. Are all speeches as good as the you tube videos or am I going to embarrass myself?

january2011

If you have time, I suggest joining a Toastmasters club - great for networking for your career as well.

If you don't have time, write it and keep practising in front of the mirror, to trusted friends, etc. You might even want to record yourself to see how you come across and keep practising until you get it right.

From experience, most people are anxious when giving a public speech - even those who do it often and are in the public eye. They're just very good at hiding it. And when it's your turn to speak, you just get one with it. And before you know it, it will be over and done with.

And of all the weddings that I've been to, I don't really remember any of the speeches - I just know that they were adequate, with an appropriate smattering of PC humour, lead us all up to the toast and that was pretty much it. Even though you could tell some of the best men were nervous, no one criticised them or teased them about it. All the guests just listened politely, smiled and laughed at the appropriate moments.