My friend who's currently in Cuba hasn't contacted me in a week and a half. Worried?

He's gone away for 2 months to visit some countries, and for the last weeks of his travels he was going to visit Cuba and Mexico. We were contacting eachother sort of frequently (every few days) until a week and a half ago, when he said he was sorting out his flight to Cuba, and since then we've had no contact. I'm a huge worrier, and already I'm beginning to imagine terrible scenarios...that he's been killed, that he's had an accident, or been arrested/got into trouble. He's not a troublemaker, but he does smoke marijuana..I don't think he's be careless enough to try and get some in Cuba/Mexico where it's dangerous to do so, but what if he's in trouble because of that? What if he went somewhere alone and badly injured himself?

I know I'm being OTT, but I'm just scared because he usually talks to me via iChat by now. I'm not sure if he's in Cuba or Mexico at the moment, but the internet is pretty slow in Cuba, so maybe that's something do with it? I hope it's just that, or something trivial like he can't be arsed to talk to me, but I'm kind of scared. We have SORT OF have a casual relationship together- we hang out often and sleep with each other etc...but none of our friends/family know each other. So I have no one to talk to about this. Am I magnifying a minor problem or do I have reason to be concerned?

• Author

anyone? please? he still hasn't contacted me. He said he'd be back around the 27th. Someone's already posted on his facebook wall, 'where are you?'

Edited by penguino

Well do you have a standard telephone/cellphone way of contacting him? Not showing up on a chat program or online is kind of hard to figure out when someone is travelling. If he has a phone in his pocket and you text him "hey we lost touch just want to know is everything going alright?" and he still doesn't answer, then that's different. If someone else is already asking about him on his Facebook then at least you know you aren't the only one who is wondering. Are you mutual friends with any of these people where you could contact them and say "hey yeah I'm concerned too, has anyone heard anything?". Don't jump to conclusions just be patient and hope he's alright.

• Author

Thanks for answering. Well, I don't have his phone number (his usual one doesn't work because he's abroad) and I have no mutual friends, since we met online. If he isn't back by the 10th I might contact his friend to ask if she has any more information.

Yeah that sounds like a decent idea to me, even if you don't know the other person yourself just explain that you're friends with the guy as well and were concerned that you haven't heard from him for a while, I don't think there's any problem with contacting someone else to ask.