about female friend

Pabulumus

I'm trying to be unbiased as possible. So here is my story. I met a woman at work. We hit it off immediately. However, I was recently divorced and did not make a move. A year later I asked her out. She said no, just friends. And friends we became. In fact, I thought we were becoming true friends.

She started confiding deep personal stories to me. And I to her. She cried on my shoulder many times. And in the last year we started hanging out and partying. Then one drunken night, she sat on my lap, caressed my inner thigh, kept pressing her face on mine. I carried her home literally. The next day she acted as if nothing happened. Next another similar situation happened. This time I pushed the situation, by putting my hand up her shirt. She didn't mind. The next day she acted normal again.

Our friendship seemed to be even closer. We talked and text quite a bit. Then out of the blue, she stopped replying to my texts. Then at work she has been giving me the silent treatment. She has told a mutual friend, that she needs to distant herself from me.

Please any insight will be helpful. I thought I was being a good guy by not taking advantage while she was drunk. Am I wrong?

january2011

You don't mention whether or not she has a boyfriend or spouse.

To me, it sounds like you were her shoulder to cry on and she didn't really mean for any of the petting to happen.

Something has made her pull back, whether her SO found out (if she has one) or she decided that you're not the one for her.

Either way, I'm not sure how you're going to find out what's going on if she refuses to engage with you.

Since it's a work colleague, I think that you should go back to being professional and polite. If the reason for her change of heart is due to an SO in the picture, then I'd say you had a lucky escape from a potential messy situation.