Christmas and cancelling

darkmoon

Well, everybody's been so nice on these forums...but I have a friend, a new one, who invited me to spend Christmas Day with her. But there are a few red flags. We were acquaintances, just seeing each other around and then we bumped into each other at a market (cheapsville) and she invited me back to her home for a coffee.

I get her saying "you should wear cashmere, not that jumper, if you want a man to take you to nice places"..."you can't tell me anything about men, I know it all"..."I met Bert Whatever, a film director"..."I know his uncle, he's a Lord"..."I'll pay for your Christmas dinner"

I was polite and chatted, but this swaggering/b*ll****ting (?) from her is off-putting and I know how to get a man (if he likes me, that is) and so to spend Christmas it's, like, no way.

To cap it all, She saw me in a cab, and my intuition told me that her ashen turned-away face (why not a wave/smile at me?) was because I was living it up (just a short ride home late).

As I write this, I'm thinking of the loveshackers here who get caught up with people who affect them adversely. I will be sending this woman a card but want nothing to do with her. Is this ok? I want to be with my family one of whom is very ill.

Thing is,I am expecting her to call me and tell me off- more swaggering - but I will blank her and feel bad

Edited by darkmoon
flutterbykiss

Only people who support and appreciate you deserve the time and attention that you give to them. That you feel bad about shutting her out says to me that you are a good, kind person and deserve to have other people be good to you in return. I don't think you are obliged to let someone treat you with disrespect - ever.

• Author

yes, I'm sending a card, but must not get involved. I know sooner or later she might well criticise me to make herself feel big. It's starting already. Not even sure if these people live and learn, have had a couple of ppl like this before. And I just steer clear now by avoiding them to preseserve my person

hard but a better choice than playing stooge :)

Edited by darkmoon