being a professional - unpaid! - at parties

darkmoon

I have a sideline as a psychic (I know some are frauds) it is something I do quite well. So a freind of mine likes to consult me. Okay. I have done a bit of work for his freind who paid me crap money considering she's rich and have helped a few other people he knows, all well-off who don't socialize with me apart from when I work for nothing. Zilch.

Tonight is a Christmas party and these people will be there. I want to party not be dumped on for low or no money for this draining work.

I know it's ok to say no to things and be assertive but feel so stressed about what I know these rich acquaintaces - they're not friends I've chosen - will expect.

I want to get a new man, dress frivoulously to do it and/or tell these acquantances that I charge xyz for my time and that, um, I'm partying too but phone me for an appointment.

Moral support/opinions welcome.

Edited by darkmoon

"Oh, I'm sorry I can't do a reading right now. I had a glass of wine already, and I don't like to do that when I am drinking. I'd really like to work with you, though, so maybe you can call me to schedule something though?"

And if you are gutsy enough, add "A half hour reading is only $20" or whatever it is.

You could also ask your rich friend of a friend if she wants to set up a "party" for you in lieu of her paying you for her next reading. She has cocktails in the other room for the friends waiting, and you have a nice quiet place set up in a guest room or something. And everyone knows up front how much it costs and pays you privately.