Birthday/Christmas gifts for guys?

Lauren83

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions, and maybe tell me what you think about the idea I have. First, I'll tell you a little about my friend Jakob...He's a 19yr old college student, who is really creative/artistic. He's into music and plays the guitar. His favorite band is The Smashing Pumpkins, but he also likes John Mayer, Jimmy Eat World and Coldplay. He loves animals, especially his dog.

He's always telling me that he really misses his dog, and that he draws pictures of her when he gets bored at work. So, I thought it might be cool to make him a calendar using pictures of his dog. That way, he could see a different picture of her every month, and maybe not miss her so much. The only problem is, I'd have to call his mom and ask her if she could send me 12 pictures. I've talked to her on the phone a few times, and she's extremely nice. Jakob talks to her about me (and everything else) all the time, but I've never actually met her. I'm just worried that Jakob might think it's weird that I'm calling his mom and asking her to send me pictures. I know guys can be weird about that stuff sometimes. I'm also worried that his mom might think it was strage as well! lol It's not every day that you get requests for pictures of your dog from people you've never met. Does anyone have any opinions about this? I was hoping to get him a unique present for Christmas that he would enjoy, instead of just a CD or guitar stuff. I'm sure I'll end up getting him guitar stuff for his birthday (in February). I play guitar too, so I know exactly what to get him, but I wanted to show him that I put a little bit of effort and thought into the gift, because I really like him. What do you guys think?

red-rose-in-winter

I think the calendar with pictures of Jakob's dog for a Christmas present is a great idea!!! You said that he will likely be getting guitar stuff for his birthday, so why not get him something for Christmas he is not expecting. The gifts that have that special touch are the best. It shows that you put a lot of thought into the gift.

As far as Jakob feeling weird about you calling his Mom and asking for pictures, how long have you and Jakob been friends? If you have been friends for a while, I don't see why he would think anything about it. But if this is a new friendship, it might seem weird. Either way, you know him better than I do, if you think that he will absolutely LOVE your gift, then do it. Try calling his Mom and explaining to her what you are planning to do for his gift this year. She may have some ideas that you may not have thought of. Good luck!!! :)

• Author

Thanks for your response! I've only known him for 6 months, but it seems like we've been friends all our lives. We met because he used to work at a store my mom went to all the time, and they started talking. My mom realized that we had pretty much everything in common, so she got his e-mail address and we started sending each other messages. We started hanging out soon after that. So, I was thinking that since he gets along so well with my mom, maybe he wouldn't mind me calling his? I just hope 12 pictures isn't too much to ask. But, like you said, maybe she'll have some other ideas.

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it! :)

red-rose-in-winter
:) You're welcome!!! I know how hard it is to come up with a unique gift at Christmas. If you can remember, please let me know how Jakob liked his gift!!!:D
  • 1 year later...