Would you dog sit for a friend for two weeks?

Little Bird

Little Bird

I've been dog sitting for a friend at her place for two weeks. I found it hard to say no, and now I regret it kinda. The dog is easy going and only needs to be fed and walked twice a day, but I find it's annoying when I can't stay out late, because I know I'll have to get home to let him out. It's in general inconvenient and if she asks again for me to dog sit, I might have to say no. I have no excuse really, other than it being inconvenient.

Am I being a bad friend for saying no to dog sitting if she asks again? She has asked me before to dog sitt for 6 weeks, but it was when I was working two jobs and going to school so I had a good reason to say no (although she still asked knowing how busy I was and asked repeatedly until I really made it clear I had no time)

I know I would never ask a friend for something so burdensome.

Edited by Little Bird

It's kind of you to do this for her these two weeks but two weeks is a long time to look after someone else's pet. Ideally, of course, if one had a dog, a friend would be only too happy to look after it but it is above and beyond the call of duty really. I think you've done your bit and next time your friend asks, you should tell her it's a big commitment and you'd rather not do it again. She should find out about kennels or find a relative who wouldn't mind. Two weeks is a long time to be restricted.

Feelin Frisky

I'd rather be put to death. :)

I'd sooner give breach birth to a porcupine though my butt than put up with someone's dumb dog. My sympathies.

Edited by Feelin Frisky

It sounds that its a bit more then your lifestyle can maintain at this time.

Just tell your friend the above. She will understand. As an avid dog owner I would think twice about leaving my pets with someone who is far to inconvienced to incur this important task. I'd save it for a professional kennel or family member who is reliable. Naturally I would compensate them for their time and additional duties.

Feelin Frisky
Who said the dog is dumb?...

I did. I'm allowed. It wasn't meant to be literal. Don't tell me you'd cash me in over a theoretical dog. It's bad enough when that happens IRL.

:confused:-------------------------------:)-------------------------:love:

whichwayisup
I've been dog sitting for a friend at her place for two weeks. I found it hard to say no, and now I regret it kinda. The dog is easy going and only needs to be fed and walked twice a day, but I find it's annoying when I can't stay out late, because I know I'll have to get home to let him out. It's in general inconvenient and if she asks again for me to dog sit, I might have to say no. I have no excuse really, other than it being inconvenient.

Am I being a bad friend for saying no to dog sitting if she asks again? She has asked me before to dog sitt for 6 weeks, but it was when I was working two jobs and going to school so I had a good reason to say no (although she still asked knowing how busy I was and asked repeatedly until I really made it clear I had no time)

I know I would never ask a friend for something so burdensome.

2 weeks is too long. 4 days to a week is acceptable.

I have friends who go away and they make arrangements for their dogs. One friend uses a place (not a "kennel") that hires out people to take in dogs, 3 at a time and they bring the dog back to their house. An interview is done and to make sure that it's the right fit. it isn' tthat expensive either. Dog sitting is popular, so google it to find out more. My other friend has a place out of town and it's a dog sitting 'farm'. they get to run and play all day, not be cooped up in cage like kennels.

Tell your friend it is inconvenient for you and you can't do it! YOU COME FIRST! Let her find another dog sitter, and pay them.

I got suckered into watching a friend's dog for one night last year - and I have a dog, so I know what is entailed. The dog came to my house, and wanted to be alpha dog, tried to bite my dog and literally howled all night because I crated her - she wanted to sleep in the bed with us! NO WAY will I ever dog sit for a friend again. Not a chance.