Extremely worried about my friend's health...

HappyPanda

Im beginning to really worry about my friend and roommate's health. She's very overweight, approximately 250 lbs at around 5'8", she already has a litany of health problems, including a connective tissue disorder which already puts her at an increased risk for heart disease, among other things.

She doesnt eat well, doesnt exercise, drinks alcohol in excess, and to top it all off, she's a nurse... so she obviously knows better.

She's so young, only 25 years old, and cant even go for a walk with me in the park, or will drive her car 30 minutes to her parents house to avoid lugging her laundry down 2 flights of stairs in our apartment.

Her quality of life is becoming increasingly disturbed by her poor health. Im sure at this rate she's most likely pre-diabetic. She's also suffers from debilitating depression.

I love her dearly, and I worry that she's going to get to the point of no return (or, nearly impossible return)

How do you tell someone (who probably already knows these things) that you're worried about them? I dont want to make her angry, or embarrass her, but I also feel that its wrong to sit back and watch someone kill themselves without trying to snap them out of it...

I feel that sometimes people just need a kick in the pants to take action... But the question is, is it appropriate for me to attempt to be the kick?

If she wakes up dead one morning & you said nothing how will you feel?

Having said that know this; there is nothing you can do beyond telling her how you feel & supporting her as much as possible IF SHE decides to change.

It only only takes 1 psychiatrist to change a light bulb but it takes a long time, costs a lot of money & in the end it still wont happen if the light bulb doesn't want to change :)