LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

All this talk about friends makes me feel like I'm back in high school.


Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2011, 5:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,008
All this talk about friends makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

[FONT=arial]"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis

This is how I view friends. They are unnecessary. Awesome to have around, but unnecessary. Your SO on the other hand, is priceless and should be held higher than anyone else in your life. He/she is the most important person in your life. So, when I see posts about "he doesn't want me to have guy friends" and the people say to dump him then, I am appalled. If it's okay with your SO that you have opposite sex friends, then that's okay. I would find that weird, but that's my own personal opinion. Forget that. It's all about what's okay with your significant other and if it bothers him/her, then what's more important? The number of friends you have on your facebook account or the future mother/father of your kids?

Friendships are important. Your girlfriend/boyfriend, husband/wife is more important.

Priorities people, priorities!!
[/FONT]
DreamerGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 6:25 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 791
You contradict yourself frequently I've noted..."friendships are unnecessary" then at the end you say, "friendships are important"!!!!WTF!!!

I know my friends will be around for me come what may, through failed relationships, losing loved ones etc....Friends my dear, are for life, relationships come and go...statistics say so!!!!
Mcnulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 7:24 PM   #3
ASG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnulty View Post
I know my friends will be around for me come what may, through failed relationships, losing loved ones etc....Friends my dear, are for life, relationships come and go...statistics say so!!!!
THIS!

Which is why it is a deal breaker for me when someone tries to tell me who can and cannot be my friend.

My friends will be there for better or worse and I cultivate them. Some of them I've known all my life and will be in my life forever.

I once made the mistake of distancing myself from my friends, cause I was in a relationship. It wasn't intentional, I just didn't hang out with them much and lost some intimacy.
Then when my 2.5 year relationship came crashing down, I didn't feel I had anyone to turn to, cause I didn't feel I could open up about my problems with people who I felt were now more of acquaintances than friends.
Obviously they were still there for me when I reached out, but I still felt like I couldn't call them at all hours when I was feeling crappy.
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 8:37 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
THIS!

Which is why it is a deal breaker for me when someone tries to tell me who can and cannot be my friend.

My friends will be there for better or worse and I cultivate them. Some of them I've known all my life and will be in my life forever.

I once made the mistake of distancing myself from my friends, cause I was in a relationship. It wasn't intentional, I just didn't hang out with them much and lost some intimacy.
Then when my 2.5 year relationship came crashing down, I didn't feel I had anyone to turn to, cause I didn't feel I could open up about my problems with people who I felt were now more of acquaintances than friends.
Obviously they were still there for me when I reached out, but I still felt like I couldn't call them at all hours when I was feeling crappy.
Oh darn, no one was there at 4 in the morning when you had a dire need to talk instead of sleep.

Cry me a river.

Your "friends" are few and far between. You both have it backwards. When you get married, it's your HUSBAND or WIFE who will always be there. Take it from a few very wise men...

"you have so many relationships in this life, only ONE or TWO will last."

Nobody ever has boat loads of friends forever, unless you're in high school. The older you get, the more your friend boat shrinks. It is much more important to look for and start a family than it is to try and keep friends. You're both being incredibly immature about the way you look at life.
DreamerGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 9:19 PM   #5
Established Member
 
djhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 540
DreamerGirl, I think you are taking either too broad a definition of "friends" or you have extremely shallow relationships in order to have this kind of outlook. Sure, there are people with 327 "friends" on their Facebook page, but that isn't what I mean when I talk about real friends or close friends.

My "friends" I can count on one hand, but they are the family I chose for myself instead of the family I was born into by chance. In that sense they are closer than family to me. We share deep lifelong bonds, my home is their home and their home is mine, if all I had in the world was a dollar and they had nothing then we'd each have fifty cents.

Husbands and wives come and go, as do boyfriends and girlfriends and lovers... but we will always be there for each other through it all, through anything, no matter what. Like family, only closer. Sorry, but I'm not going to throw all that away because someone wants to be selfish and isolate me from the whole rest of the world so I have no one else in my life for anything except them.... especially when that typically means they are going to turn out to be a nasty piece of work. People who love unselfishly don't try to separate you from the other people you love and who love you. Instead they welcome those people because they know those people make your life happier, richer, and more fulfilling and because they love you and want as much of that for you as possible they accept and appreciate those people as part of you and part of your life. Those that don't... that is a big bad warning sign that this relationship is going to go to hell.
__________________
Any resemblance between myself and someone who knows what's going on is entirely coincidental.
djhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 204
I don't think it's very healthy to put all of your eggs in one basket. It's not very balanced. Plus your friends are usually there for more genuine reasons than lovers and for that reason generally more reliable. Its much more enriching to the relationship for the partners to have healthy social lives I believe as well.
Flgirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhall View Post
DreamerGirl, I think you are taking either too broad a definition of "friends" or you have extremely shallow relationships in order to have this kind of outlook. Sure, there are people with 327 "friends" on their Facebook page, but that isn't what I mean when I talk about real friends or close friends.

My "friends" I can count on one hand, but they are the family I chose for myself instead of the family I was born into by chance. In that sense they are closer than family to me. We share deep lifelong bonds, my home is their home and their home is mine, if all I had in the world was a dollar and they had nothing then we'd each have fifty cents.

Husbands and wives come and go, as do boyfriends and girlfriends and lovers... but we will always be there for each other through it all, through anything, no matter what. Like family, only closer. Sorry, but I'm not going to throw all that away because someone wants to be selfish and isolate me from the whole rest of the world so I have no one else in my life for anything except them.... especially when that typically means they are going to turn out to be a nasty piece of work. People who love unselfishly don't try to separate you from the other people you love and who love you. Instead they welcome those people because they know those people make your life happier, richer, and more fulfilling and because they love you and want as much of that for you as possible they accept and appreciate those people as part of you and part of your life. Those that don't... that is a big bad warning sign that this relationship is going to go to hell.
Husbands and wives come and go??? What are you talking about? When you get married it's for life. You have it backwards. Friends come and go...husbands and wives are for life. Or at least they're supposed to be. I do not know one happily married couple who has boat loads of opposite sex friends.
DreamerGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgirl44 View Post
I don't think it's very healthy to put all of your eggs in one basket. It's not very balanced. Plus your friends are usually there for more genuine reasons than lovers and for that reason generally more reliable. Its much more enriching to the relationship for the partners to have healthy social lives I believe as well.
Are you high? On something? Drunk?

Or just really misconstrued?

Your lovers in your life you're supposed to hold at the HIGHEST regards, not the lowest. Your friends...who gives two cents about them? They come and go. Your future husband is supposed to be apart of your FAMILY now. Your other half. Your soul mate. Your partner in crime. The most important human being on the face of this planet to you.

You're gonna throw all that away because he or she might not want you to have friends of the opposite sex?

I'd give my left foot to have a serious boyfriend that was working towards marriage right now. I'd definitely get rid of a few high school "guy pals" if he wanted me to. Easily.

Chances are. Those high school "guy pals". Would get rid of me in a heartbeat for their future girlfriend's as well.
DreamerGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:14 AM   #9
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis
I think you missed the point. Lewis was trying to articulate that things like friendship aren't necessary to survive in the sense that we can survive physically without having them in our lives- but having those things in our lives enrich us and define us in ways that eating, sleeping and expelling waste simply can't do.
__________________
Frosted Lucky Charms are magically delicious!
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:26 AM   #10
Established Member
 
thehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So.Cal, USA
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
I think you missed the point. Lewis was trying to articulate that things like friendship aren't necessary to survive in the sense that we can survive physically without having them in our lives- but having those things in our lives enrich us and define us in ways that eating, sleeping and expelling waste simply can't do.
I tried to hint to her. She freaked on me. Then I read her posts and figured out shes just young. Im glad you explained it though because seems wrong she stay in the dark.
thehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 1:37 AM   #11
Established Member
 
djhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerGirl27 View Post
You have it backwards. Friends come and go...usbands and wives are for life. Or at least they're supposed to be.
No, I tried to explain it clearly. Friends, real friends, true friends, don't come and go. There aren't boatloads of them, no, but those core two or three, yeah, we love each other closer than actual family since we chose each other to love that way on purpose rather than just chance of birth. In that respect, that bond is every bit as strong as that of family and that of a spouse. To reject those friends is to reject my other family. That would hurt deeply, like losing a parent or a sibling. A true friend and partner wouldn't want to do that to you in the first place. If they do, you shouldn't marry the person, PERIOD. They don't love you. They can't love you, as they obviously don't value your happiness or your connection to anyone but themselves.

As for husbands and wives coming and going, yep, they do. Spouses die young and leave behind survivors. They have affairs, lie about them, and then confess only their affair partner is pregnant and they now have another child with someone other than their spouse. You're right, they are supposed to be for life, but it doesn't always work out that way. And when it doesn't WE are still there, through it all, providing support and comfort and understanding as someone who was there before, was there during, and is still there after, and will still be there in the future long after the spouse is gone.

As for the people you describe as friends, which I would consider more liek aquaintances, you sound extremely jealous and insecure. If you can't be secure in your relationship and your bond with your spouse unless you isolate them from all contact with other members of the opposite sex... well, that is beyond sad. It is like you are either incapable of believing that any man could or would be faithful unless you police them at all times or you are incapable of accepting that anyone else brings happiness and joy into your spouses life except you. Either way, neither is going to bring you the relationship you seem to think it will.
djhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 2:05 AM   #12
Established Member
 
dreamingoftigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 12,327
You better keep those friends around....
Friends are damned important.

You'll notice that what you quoted didn't give any comparison to spouses etc.
__________________
I don't ask you to walk a mile in my shoes. I DARE you to drive a mile in my car.
dreamingoftigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 8:17 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerGirl27 View Post
Are you high? On something? Drunk?

Or just really misconstrued?

Your lovers in your life you're supposed to hold at the HIGHEST regards, not the lowest. Your friends...who gives two cents about them? They come and go. Your future husband is supposed to be apart of your FAMILY now. Your other half. Your soul mate. Your partner in crime. The most important human being on the face of this planet to you.

You're gonna throw all that away because he or she might not want you to have friends of the opposite sex?

I'd give my left foot to have a serious boyfriend that was working towards marriage right now. I'd definitely get rid of a few high school "guy pals" if he wanted me to. Easily.

Chances are. Those high school "guy pals". Would get rid of me in a heartbeat for their future girlfriend's as well.
I could hang out with my friends more than my SO at the time and it wouldn't say anything about what regard I hold him in. He should trust that what we have is special and not be so intimidated by outside interactions.

It would be nice if husbands and lovers were like family, but that is not reality. You don't have sex with your family or your friends. See how long you could not have sex with men in a romantic relationship and have them love you unconditionally. The love you get from real friends and family is unconditional, the love most spouses give each other is conditional.

Don't get me wrong im all about holding my partner and their opinions in very high regard I just don't think they should be the center of your world as it is very dangerous to put so much of your self worth and effort on another person.

My grandmother has friends at her church that have helped her out immeasurably. My grandfather passed away really young and she does not believe in finding another, her vows meant she was only for him even through death. Her friends are her life and what she looks forward to everyday. I can't imagine my grandfather, who loved her very much, ever wanting to take that away from her now or then.

Someone who loves you doesn't ask such things of the person they are with, I think that's the point people are trying to get at in this thread. You seem like a fellow idealist, so you should understand in an ideal loving relationship this sort of thing shouldn't happen.
Flgirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 8:20 AM   #14
Established Member
 
KikiW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rock * ME * Hard Place
Posts: 816
Honestly, at this stage in my life, EVERY relationship is subject to change. I spend time with people I feel like spending time with, but at this point just accept the fact that either they or I have moved on if we no longer spend time together.

I was married for 15 years and we had a VERY close circle of friends. I figured that was the way it was gonna be for the rest of my life. About 3 years ago, things changed. My husband and I separated, and despite our assurances that he and I were remaining friends, our circle began to gossip amongst themselves and us individually. People seemed to choose sides, or at least thrive on juicy news. Eventually my STBX and I had to "close ranks" and distance ourselves from the very people we thought we could trust most because of the incredibly hurtful things they did. We discovered agendas we had no idea other people had. Entering into new relationships seemed to intensify things - for a while, I thought everyone had reverted to 7th graders!

People change over time. Some grow, others remain stagnant, but often it never happens at the same pace, which ends up causing problems. I think it's natural, and the best thing to do is just enjoy the time you have with them when you have it.
KikiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 8:44 AM   #15
ASG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerGirl27 View Post
Husbands and wives come and go??? What are you talking about? When you get married it's for life. You have it backwards. Friends come and go...husbands and wives are for life. Or at least they're supposed to be. I do not know one happily married couple who has boat loads of opposite sex friends.
Oh hello... Have you been paying attention to the world? With divorce rates being as high as 50%? Not to mention that more often than not people go trhough more than one relationship before they actually get married.

And even when everything is kinda perfect, accidents and disease can happen!

What will you do, if you marry someone, ditch all your friends, and then something happens? They leave you or die at a young age?
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My work environment is starting to feel like high school.... Sheppy99 Breaks and Breaking Up 4 16th September 2010 1:44 AM
I feel like I'm back in high school again! (warning: long post) Remry Dating 3 7th November 2009 8:38 AM
Daughter not making friends at high school xela Parenting 16 6th October 2008 1:48 PM
Back In Love With High School Sweetheart hdcomplicated Infidelity 11 22nd January 2008 7:53 PM
I have no friends since I left High School. Guest Friendship 3 11th December 2006 10:15 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.