Wanting to be friends again after rejection

I'm just wondering why do good friends (I here it is mostly girls but please correct me if im wrong) tend to "go away" after you told them you liked them?

Maybe my thinking is a bit idealistic but I thought that if two people are good friends they would be able to work things out.

I understand things can be a bit awkward but is ignoring really the answer? you both confided in each other, helped each other a lot etc., and now you would rather forget that person?

I don't know, I guess I'm having a hard time coping and understanding. Maybe it is all the more reason that I need to distance myself but the questions still run through my mind:

1) What of the times we were close, is it easy to just decide to close that up, lock it away and move on?

2) How are other people, in the same situation, able to "confess", and still remain close friends?

3) Is being harsh/hurtful even necessary?

Distancing does help, I won't lie and say I haven't tried it before. It's just that this time, i valued the friendship a lot. I believed that it was solid enough to handle this and we could just move on and make the friendship stronger.

Depends...how long has the silence been? Does she even say hello? How long have you two been friends?

When people are hurt it's natural to want to distance themselves from pain (or things that may remind them of the pain). Its rarely permanent though... give it time. But if she's not even saying hello, then that's just immature.

• Author

Well we have been close for over a year. i guess im overdramatizing this a lot for just a year's worth of friendship but i still think if 2 people were close, it shouldnt be that fickle. That was last semester when she wasn't talking to me (even say hello or goodbye). It's different now. She does say hi now and then but its complicated. I'll just leave it to what you said "...give it time". Thanks for the reply!

Odd, whenever I told female friends that I was into them, after they rejected me, they were usually OK still hanging out.

They didn't like me the way I felt for them, but they still enjoyed my company. The last girl that this happened with, we ended up getting even closer after she rejected me. In the end, I had to break it off cause it was too hard for me.

I wish girls would drift apart after they reject me. Would make moving on much easier for me.