Would you be frustrated by this???

LuckyLady13

LuckyLady13

I have a friend from another country. I'm American - She lied about America and Americans and expected me to be fine with this. What the...?!?

I have other friends from other countries. Some I've been friends with for a very long time (10-12 years). I'm very open-minded to other cultures and beliefs and like to learn about them. Besides that, I'm an American living in a major metro area where I'm constantly exposed to other cultures and beliefs.

I have never before run into someone from another country who has done something like this. I was beside myself with anger :mad: at first because I've known her a year and she's never done anything like this until now. Then I was confused as to why she kept trying to convince me I'm brainwashed and she knows the truth about me and my neighbors better than I do?!?

I really do appreciate the other friendships I have with people of other countries. The internet has made having those friendships and making those connections so much easier.

Wow! You think you know somebody after a year and don't expect them to turn around and tell you they hate your neighbors, your whole country, you're stupid and you're brainwashed.

She couldn't understand why I wouldn't comply and say none of us Americans can find Europe on a map. She was angry that I wouldn't agree with her that Americans aren't ALLOWED to watch news from other countries. When I tried to explain what America is really like, she called me a patriot and said she hates American patriotism. She thinks States are the same as separate countries and having a president is the same as Hitler "trying to get every European country as his".

Anyone who understands what the United States are and the presidency will realize that she's just severely uneducated. I'm fine with someone not understanding something. I have no problem explaining the difference and taking time and having patience with someone.

But to say the majority of southerners are in the dark ages? She said she read this stuff...and then said "The South will rise again?!? Better not!"

I began to wonder what planet she's on, not what country she's from.

But -

No matter what country you're from, if someone is that ignorant and tried to convince you that you're not living the life you are (we're perfectly allowed to watch any news from around the world, in case anyone is wondering) and tried to shove lies down your throat and got angry if you don't comply, you'd drop that person like a hot potato too, wouldn't you?

Tell me I'm not the only person who feels so angry, frustrated and annoyed by an ignorant, uneducated person like this. Please!

I'm a little confused here...

But I'm guessing that your friend is feeling a little jaded with Americans?

I used to live in Kentucky, I'm from Boston. Believe me, I was disappointed when I moved down south, and a lot of Southerners couldn't point out much of anything (correctly) on a map.

There's nothing wrong with being patriotic. I'm patriotic, even if I don't agree with everything Political America has done (ie slavery).

Can you clarify a bit more?

She sounds like she might have had a tough time recently, and is blaming it on American culture, rather than whomever offended her.

• Author
LuckyLady13

Hi, Spectral. She didn't mean Southerners couldn't point things out on a map but Americans across the country. I lived in Georgia for a bit and talked to local people every day and didn't get the impression from a single person that they wouldn't know where Europe is on a map. They were smart, educated people. I didn't break out a map to check but didn't feel a need to either. Never been to Kentucky.

In the area I'm in now especially, I'm surrounded by people who have moved here from European countries who speak broken English. I love hearing about the countries they came from and the food they cook is AWESOME. I know, as (now) Americans, they know exactly where Europe is. They used to live there. These people do have American flags now and would be considered patriotic.

Okay, so she's not educated about Americans being from all over the world. That's fine.

But to say we're not "allowed" to watch news, read books, magazines or watch movies from other countries was just insane to me.

She was trying to convince me this is the truth. Over and over she kept trying to tell me "this is the truth". Not in this America it isn't!

You've lived in Kentucky and Boston (two places I've sadly never been yet) and correct me if I'm wrong but you're allowed to watch any news you want or read any books or magazines you want and also watch any movies you want in those two states too, right?

I get it.

I actually teach ESL to native speakers of Spanish and Russian. I learned both in college (I swear this is true!).

Many of my students do not understand that Americans are multi-national and multi-cultural, as well.

One of my students expressed dismay that her cousin would be born in the US, because this is "bad."

European countries tend to be homogenous, thus, a lot of Europeans have (in my experience) been perplexed by the fact that one can be Afro-American, Latin-American, French-American, etc...

Our multi-Nationality is one of the things that makes me proud to be an American...but something that can be difficult for people from generally homogenous countries to understand.

Side note...of course we're are "allowed" to watch whatever news we choose. But I would definitely agree that a lot (or even most) Americans don't venture beyond American news outlets...and there is a world of difference between CNN/FOX and The BBC or Al-Jazeerah!!

But, all in all, don't let it drive you nuts!!!

Again, your friend sounds more jaded than anything... and yes, a bit ignorant. This could last, or this could pass...

But, take it from me- just let it go ;)

She couldn't understand why I wouldn't comply and say none of us Americans can find Europe on a map. She was angry that I wouldn't agree with her that Americans aren't ALLOWED to watch news from other countries. When I tried to explain what America is really like, she called me a patriot and said she hates American patriotism. She thinks States are the same as separate countries and having a president is the same as Hitler "trying to get every European country as his".

Well, yeah, that's a bit extreme, and it'd bother me if someone was strident about it. Although too many Americans can't find Europe on a map, sadly.

• Author
LuckyLady13

Thanks for your reply, Zen! She was trying to just shove this stuff down my throat so hard as if she was frustrated I wouldn't bend to her will.

Update: I told her "no more" and now she HATES ME. I'm really not surprised. She hates Christianity, America, Men (if they mention they want to have sex with a woman even when they are single)...Scientology...

Her list is hatred was too long for me anyway so...it's a good thing she hates me now because she has gone away and hasn't bothered me. Whew!