being a loner

longlegzs80

longlegzs80

I have always done my own thing and been a loner for most of my life. I find that being a loner prevents me from meeting new people and would just like to have a normal life and meet people who are positive and wanting to have fun. When I was at college, I would say that I had two friends that I could actually call friends, but everyone else was aquintances. Those two friends that I have had reduced down to one somewhat okay friend and the other who used to be a good friend is no longer a friend as much as we still chat. Anyways, I am starting to develop a complex and don't want to live my life always being alone. It really sucks and as much as I work and kinda meet people there, it is not the same. I don't know. I guess what I am looking for is some advice on how to not be so shy and so independent where I isolate myself from the whole world and only do my thing. If anyone can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

the best way to broaden your horizons is to get involved. Do you have a passion for something -- music, kids, cooking, flower arranging? Does your town offer events that you can take advantage of (civic orchestra, church nursery program, Chef 101 or Know Your Flowers classes)? Or does the local paper run a guide or section asking for volunteers?

even though my job entails working with lots of people, it's still kind of neat to volunteer to shoot photos for my church parish when different events go on, or to substitute whenever one of the ESL tutors has to be out of town and needs someone to teach. At some point, I'd like to take a class at the local junior college to learn how to actually USE my 35mm camera, and hook up with other amateur photogs who can give me practical advice.

there's lots of places that offer inexpensive ways to get to know others, you just need to scope them out and decide what appeals to you the most. Maybe you won't end up finding your next best friend, but I guarantee, your circle of friends will grow, especially when you find you have something in common with other people.

good luck,

quank