Neighbor Problem, Am I the one Out Of Line?

QuestionReality

QuestionReality

I didn't see any other categories that this fit, so I figured I'd try here. I had a woman move into our building 2 years ago, in the fall. When she first moved in she would fill all of my garbage bins so I was unable to use them. I had left an "open" letter taped above the mailboxes to address this, basically stating that per the lease agreement you are required to furnish your own bins etc. She had left a note apologizing saying she didn't know etc. Problem solved. Until 2 weeks later when she did it again. By this time it was winter, so I just moved my bins inside the hallway and called to let my landlord know.

Over summer time she was leaving her bags untied/covered.. so animals were tearing them up and leaving garbage all over. Well, after hosing off the driveway with bleach I left another "open letter" stating that this caused a ant problem ( I as well as the guy below me, who is real laid back, had called the landlord as well.. I just went and bought a few cans of Raid and dealt with it) Other things also had happened. The shared laundry room she was dumping her own trash in, and I had went down to throw in some laundry and "caught" her taking out the carbon monoxide detector batteries because the " low battery beeping" was annoying her.

I've lived here a long time, since 2003, and I've never had any problems with any of my neighbors. So a month ago, when I moved my cans back outside, the same situation started. My open letters were more direct. I stated any trash left in my bin would be @ that person's door, and I'd notify the landlord. The following week more food was on the ground, so the last letter stated I called the landlord to let him know and my letter included the local health department code and imposed fine for leaving raw food uncontained.

When I spoke to my landlord he also informed me he had received a fine from the city due to her putting her garbage out @ the wrong time forcing them to collect it early.

Enter today. I go to do my weekly grocery shopping, where I am confronted by her boyfriend. These people are considerably older then myself ( I’m 33 they’re in their 50's) and in a very threatening in your face type of tone, he tells me how horrible I am for making her upset, and how I'm a horrible neighbor. So I clearly state asking someone to follow their lease agreement and have consideration in a shared building is hardly being a horrible neighbor, and that I've never spoken to the woman to even have an issue ( the guy downstairs had attempted knocking on her door prior and she ignored it, obviously home and inside)

After I said that I moved past him and ignored her coming around the corner, got in my car and left.

My questions here are.. I don’t feel I was obnoxious in any way, but do I call my landlord to let him know or just ignore the situation altogether? We get along well and I really do hate calling him on this type of stuff. I have lived here so long that I do tend to clean the common areas etc and I know he appreciates it.. I just want to cover my bases in case the boyfriend starts doing passive aggressive type things.

Any comments on how to resolve this issue constructively or how to better handle it are welcomed & thanks!

I don't think you are being out of line at all.

And I would def get something on record about the BF confronting you before it escalates further. If you don't say anything and suddenly your tires are being slashed or other property gets damaged, you won't have much to go on with an accusation unless you witness it happening.

• Author
QuestionReality

Thanks for your reply. Like I mentioned, they are older ( more the hippy type ) and I think he was just doing it to be the knight in shining armor type. He is just as ignorant as she is. Another incident a few months back, they unplugged the washer, put an obnoxious note stating " WASHER BROKE, AGAIN!!!" .. mind I plugged it in and made sure the lid closed and it worked fine. When I came down to put my clothes in the dryer, they both standing over the washer baffled at how it was "fixed". When I explained the lid wasn't closed properly, he stated it was "ridiculous". Seems just to be ignorant people as opposed to harmful. I just don't want to bother my landlord over something petty. When I called the last time over the food on the ground, telling him I included the city code and fine told me he appreciated it and was fed up himself.... I just don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill..

• Author
QuestionReality

I went with my gut & just left a voicemail on my landlords work phone. I didn't want to bother him at home and just said " in case anything comes of it" Hopefully that will help..

Could I ask....if your landlord has been fined and inconvenienced - why the hell isn't he doing something about it??

He should be the one reading them the riot act and threatening to foreclose their lease for non-compliance! What is he, spineless?

I think you need to set up a meeting with you, your good neighbour, the Landlord and the relevant authorities and get HIM to do something!!:mad:

Tara is spot on. Are there any mediation services in your area for neighbour disputes that your landlord could bring in. An independent person may make this easier to manage.

• Author
QuestionReality

Thanks for your reply. The guy downstairs is also pretty fed up with the landlord's lack of action. I noticed they had left (the woman and boyfriend) about an hour ago, and oddly someone pulled up front of the building (I've seen the car here before as a visitor type) and went in/out her doors, so that made me paranoid enough to place a call in to the landlord. I telecommute, so I'm here all day, and that was an definitely an unusual circumstance. According to the landlord he's spoken to her multiple times, but he also is very laid back and due to the economy, I'm sure he doesn't want an empty apartment right now. I understand your opinion exactly though. It's a fine line to walk, I don't want to elevate anything, but definitely have my bases covered as well.

Thanks again!

• Author
QuestionReality
Tara is spot on. Are there any mediation services in your area for neighbour disputes that your landlord could bring in. An independent person may make this easier to manage.

I'm not sure. I know he privately owns the building, it isn't corporately owned. Most of the houses around are residential, but definitely worth looking into, Thanks for your Input!

It is very important that in a situation like this that you and others diary any incidents to build up a case against your neighbour. If you are all telling a consistent story, it makes for a much stronger case.

• Author
QuestionReality
It is very important that in a situation like this that you and others diary any incidents to build up a case against your neighbour. If you are all telling a consistent story, it makes for a much stronger case.

I did write down the information today. Unfortunately the guy downstairs isn't home, which worried me enough to leave a message with the landlord.

Truly I wouldn't think leaving open letters i.e. non accusatory asking someone to follow their lease agreement/city health code would empower anyone to have animosity, and frankly it is worrisome if that's the case.

Or I could be worrying over nothing but better safe than sorry

Thanks ladies, for your insight :)