Hard to meet friends

When a long-term relationship ended recently, I looked around and found that I had no close friends left. I had moved from the area where all of my old friends lived, and although I still talk to them I wish I had someone close to spend time with here. I have a very understanding boyfriend who has been extremely supportive of me, but I would give just about anything to have a couple of friends to go shopping with, hang out, have lunch, etc. It seems like people respond when I make small talk and initially are very nice to me, but the longer I try to talk to someone the more awkward I feel and eventually everyone seems to lose interest in me. A co-worker recently told me she was surprised to find out I was very shy, as she thought I was quite outgoing when I started my job - but as usual I have run out of witty one-liners and small talk so I hardly speak to people at work unless I am spoken to. I try to be nice to everyone and make attempts to join conversations, but I feel more and more like people aren't interested in knowing me. Does anyone have any advice or just a similar experience to share? It would be great to know that there is someone else out there who shares this difficulty.

It would be great to know that there is someone else out there who shares this difficulty.

I share this difficulty. All my friends are scattered across the country. I don't socialize unless I'm on a road trip to visit them.

When a long-term relationship ended recently, I looked around and found that I had no close friends left. I had moved from the area where all of my old friends lived, and although I still talk to them I wish I had someone close to spend time with here. I have a very understanding boyfriend who has been extremely supportive of me, but I would give just about anything to have a couple of friends to go shopping with, hang out, have lunch, etc. It seems like people respond when I make small talk and initially are very nice to me, but the longer I try to talk to someone the more awkward I feel and eventually everyone seems to lose interest in me. A co-worker recently told me she was surprised to find out I was very shy, as she thought I was quite outgoing when I started my job - but as usual I have run out of witty one-liners and small talk so I hardly speak to people at work unless I am spoken to. I try to be nice to everyone and make attempts to join conversations, but I feel more and more like people aren't interested in knowing me. Does anyone have any advice or just a similar experience to share? It would be great to know that there is someone else out there who shares this difficulty.

Hey there! It's hard moving anywhere that you don't know and making new friends. I've moved what feels like a hundred times in my life. Why do you try that meetup dot com thing. I joined it, but I haven't actually went to one of the meets, but I hear that its a good service thing. It's not a romantic thing, just people in the same area with the same kind of interests. So you are in VA, too? Im in Hampton Roads area.

• Author

Thanks for your replies! I am in the Arlington area - and coincidentally I did find a group on meetup that looked interesting, so I'm looking forward to trying it! Anyone have advice on overcoming shyness when meeting a bunch of new people?

Thanks for your replies! I am in the Arlington area - and coincidentally I did find a group on meetup that looked interesting, so I'm looking forward to trying it! Anyone have advice on overcoming shyness when meeting a bunch of new people?

Drink a beer first....lol kidding! No really, just remember to breathe and that they probably feel the same as you do (scared and shy about meeting new people).