New Town = bugger all friends

88keys

So I have recently move to a new sate/town. I am struggling to make friends and am getting a bit on the lonely side. Few points first...

• People at work are older than me (most are at least 10y older) and already have families etc.
  • I'm not into sports and am uncoordinated, so joining a team is pretty much out of the question.
  • I've looked but can't find any 'social clubs' in my area.

I've tried going out to dinner and bars by myself, but i just feel like a loner and knob sitting there by myself. I swear people must think the same thing.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how did you meet people? Surely it can't be as hard as I am making it out to be!

Yes, I've been in a similar situation - I moved to a different country. But I made friends mostly through work - I know you say they are all older than you, but this doesn't mean you can't be friends with them. I've had friends 10 years younger than me, and vice versa. So I would suggest you don't give up on trying to get to know your co-workers a little better.. During conversation you can get in that you are feeling lonely because you don't know anybody, and a lot of people will take this as a cue to invite you to things they are doing. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm im about to go onto the same situation in a few months. Im not gonna lie im nervous about not having friends or people i know up there as well. However, I have come up with a plan...hopefully might give you some ideas.

I am moving to a place where I can do a lot of outdoorsy activities (hiking etc) I am planning to find a group that goes out and does all these things (so excited about this!!)

I also run, cuz just like you, i have the coordination of a drunk. So im planning to hopefully join a running group as well. Actually im trying to do that currently too cuz Im not too good at making friends, even at work, but Im sure if i put myself out there, and have fun doing things i like, ill find other people who might end up liking me as well.

Now what i find hard is the motivation to go do all these things, at least currently. But if you want it badly enough, you'll find a friend or two. One thing we all forget is that most of us are on the same boat. As busy as people might seem, we all still want to have friends and hang out. Like my supervisor says, I have yet to hear someone saying "i have way too many friends, i really dont need any more!". Just assume people want to meet you cuz just like you they want friends and you should be just dandy.

Let me know if you've been able to come up with stuff and how it has worked for you!