she blocked me

Stardust82

hi,

this is probably stupid rambling but i found out a few weeks ago that my old roommate and good friend from college blocked me on facebook. it had been a long time since i'd seen her updates so i just figured that she quit facebook since she quit myspace too. i saw her tagged on mutual friends' notes and realized i'd just been blocked, she hadn't quit.

here's my thing. i'm really, irrationally upset about it. i'm blocked, so i can't ask her what i did wrong. we hadn't really had a one-on-one conversation in a very long time so i don't even know why i'm so upset. it stings and i don't know why. i wish i could say i have an inkling as to why i've been blocked but i really don't. really.

in college we'd had a couple of disagreements but we apologized and all seemed ok, i thought. i thought we were buddies but i know now i was wrong.

how do i get over this? i wish i could ask her but since i've been blocked that's impossible and obviously she doesn't want to have any contact with me. how do i get over the sting? i wish i could apologize for whatever it is that i did wrong but i can't. how do i put this out of my head.

i'm really sad about it. i didn't know that anybody out there didn't like me to the point that they would block me. :(

I wouldn't assume anything - such as that you're blocked. Facebook has it's own ways of working and you have no idea what features are enacted when. It may be that she deactivated her account and she is still tagged in Photos but you may be unable to contact her because the account deactived.

It may also be that the accoutn was deleted but facebook doesn't detag photos and instead just break the link between the photo and the account.

There are so many ways this can be done you'd probably have to test each scenario on your own - a waste of time.

I wouldn't think anything of it.

• Author

no, i know i was blocked because my other friends have told me that she's still there. oh well. i guess i should just try to forget about it.

Yeah, it would be upsetting for that to happen, especially without warning or you having a chance to offer an explanation or apology...*IF*, in fact, she is upset over something she thinks you did.

Since you say that there hasn't been anything untoward between you two, maybe it's more likely that she did a general clean-up of her friends' list and 'deleted' people with whom she's not in regular or direct contact? (I do that with all my contacts, from time to time.)

Do you have an email address or phone number to contact her? I'd use that to just connect and find out what's going on in her life, in general. You'll be able to get more info from if/how she responds to you, and can then ask her if and why she's pissed off at you. (I wouldn't initially make that assumption, though.)

Good luck -- I hope it's nothing more than just her trying to manage her FaceBook account, and not anything specifically to do with you.

• Author

:bunny: thanks for the advice. i really don't know why i'm all torn up about this. it really felt like a punch to the gut being blocked like that.

i found an old email address of hers from college, i don't know if she still uses it or not but i sent a "hi, how's it going" email since that's all i really wanted to say when i found out i was blocked. i'll see if she responds or not and hopefully it's not a big deal or anything.

thanks for the replays. i know this was a dumb post.

Aww, that's a shame. Think I'd be pretty upset about it too. But you said you haven't had a proper conversation with her in a while so, yeah, it might just be that she's deleted people she's not in regular contact with anymore. I have done this too, people who don't update their status's much and people I haven't talked to in ages I delete them so I can keep in touch with people who I do talk to more, you know? She probably didn't think anything of it and probably you haven't done anything wrong.

I was just wondering though. When I've sent friend requests to people on Facebook it asks if I want to send a message to that person (this is before they're accepted my request). I always thought that you could send a message to people's inboxes even when they're not added? Hmm might just be me being a bit stupid there though lol.

Anyway. I hope you manage to get in touch with her!

• Author

unfortuantely, i can't send her an email through facebook. i'm blocked, i can't see her profile. i only hope it's not creepy to send an email out of the blue like this.

Ohhh right, OK. Sorry, I should learn to read things better lol.

I don't think it's weird. I've done this from time to time. If I've found a phone number or email address of someone I used to be friends with I'll send them a message. Not weird I don't think!

Stardust, no it's not a "dumb post" -- you were feeling upset, and that is exactly why God made LS...to post about what's making us feel down :)

I agree with KS that it's not weird at all. Truth is that I yesterday came across an email address of someone I haven't been in touch with for years (I was cleaning out some really old crap)...and we're having lunch on Friday!

Not "dumb" or "weird", as far as I'm concerned...it's what friends do if/when they lose touch over the years.

The only thing is to hope that the email address you discovered is still active. Do you have a mutual friend who can verify it for you, if you don't receive a response?

1. Personally I have my FB set so that only people I've invited can be my friend or see my stuff. If I unfriend someone because I don't talk to them often enough or they unfriend me for the same reason (really, it happens) they only show up as a name. If she's really blocked you, you won't see her tags or posts at all.

2. Don't take it personally. There are other people out there who DO love you. Focus on them.

3. It isn't stupid or weird.

4. Send a note and don't mention facebook at all. Just ask how they are and say you were wondering since you haven't heard in a while.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Maybe she accidentally blocked you and she doesn't know yet?

One time, I blocked my best friend on Myspace and she was really upset, and I didn't even know I had blocked her. I just pushed the wrong button or something. So, maybe your friend did something similar?

I agree with the person who said to leave her a casual email. Don't mention FB, just ask what/how they're doing. =D Hope I helped some. Good luck with your friend. ^_^