How often do you keep in contact with close friends?

By close I mean dear friends, who are not related to you and whom you do not work with or share significant hobbies with, but have known for a long time.

By contact I mean email, IM, or phone.

Am particularly interested in how often you communicate with long distance friends.

I keep in touch with my LD friends via IM, email and phone.

IM - almost every day.

Email - every other day or week - depending on how busy or long the email is!

Phone - every week.

It depends. Some close friends I'll go months without contacting them. Other close friends, it's usually weekly.

I think I'm not a very sociable person. I have only three people I would classify as close friends and they all live in other countries. Contact is usually by email and typically only when there is something specific to say. I would say on average I email each of them 2 to 5 times per year.

burningashes

I keep in touch with a dear friend who lives across the country via facebook and I see her once a year. She's coming to visit me in a few weeks :bunny::bunny::bunny: We do it in spurts, I guess- we would go months without talking then email each other like crazy for a few days then stop for another few months. Weird, but I consider her to be one of my closest friends :)

Ruby Slippers

Good friends in the city: anywhere from a few times a week to about once a month, depending on their schedules and reciprocity.

Good friends in other cities: anywhere from once a month to once or twice a year by e-mail, letter, IM, or phone.

Sweetcheripie

I have one good friend who moved a couple of states away about 7 years ago and we talk on the phone almost every other day - sometimes every day. We usually chat while both of us are in our cars driving from here to there.

Most others it is emails about once a week and phone calls once a month.

By close I mean dear friends, who are not related to you and whom you do not work with or share significant hobbies with, but have known for a long time.

By contact I mean email, IM, or phone.

Am particularly interested in how often you communicate with long distance friends.

Since I don't have many friends where I now live, almost every day, usually through IM -- sometimes phone. We also forward each other funny links through email.