Best friends in the wrong place?

At one time I had very few friends but when I joined a local paranormal group I made a lot more and everything was good. But then, due to group politics and people falling out with each other (apparently this happens a lot to paranormal groups for some reason), some of us broke away and formed a new group.

A few from the old group I would happily never see again but I do miss others and, although we still say hello in the street and are still 'facebook friends', it's not the same. I don't regret leaving the old group because there was too much **** going on there, but I had some good friends there and now I hardly talk to them.

At the same time one of my best friends, who lives in another town 25 miles away, started organising regular Sunday pub lunches with live music. I started going along and got to know some of her other friends. Now I go every other week and it's very relaxed and chilled out.

Recently though, I've begun to feel that I no longer care for the paranormal subject. I've been doing it for almost three years and going on the monthly investigations feels more like a chore than a pleasure. I have suggested that we do some normal things like going to the cinema or a meal but this never seems to happen. We only get together for investigations and I have become bored with them. I am seriously considering leaving the group but then I wonder whether, if I did that, I will lose the friends I have in my own town.

I suspect that there are one or two who feel the same way but they live 20 miles in yet another direction. It's not that I have a shortage of friends - it's just that the best ones are an hours drive away and I sometimes wonder whether I would be better off moving towns altogether.

Thoughts and opinions please.

You have to do what's best for you. If the investigations are starting to feel more like an obligation rather than something enjoyable you want to do, it's best to stop doing them! If you lose friends as a result, then most likely you were only friends for the purpose of your interest in common. There are friends that serve their purpose for the time they are in your life, but are not meant to be lifelong. Maybe they served a need you had at the time or you learned something important from them. As life carries you through your journey, you will make other friends, maybe those of the lifelong variety. :)