Did I destroy a friendship because of my depression?

About a month ago my closest friend for the last 3 years told me she was moving away. I already was dealing with depression and she knew nothing about it, but when she told me she was moving away in 3 days I basically finally reached my emotional breaking point.

I literally broke down crying begging her not to leave, but to please stay. Like I said when she said she was leaving it was as if I could not take anymore. Anyway like I said I broke down begging her to stay crying like a baby. Looking back now I know it was not right but man it basically it felt like the only person in the world that cared was leaving. I am a 33 yo man, and it was not a pretty site. So before everyone starts flaming me just understand dealing with the depression this was just all I could take.

Anyway I have not spoken with her since than, and due to other things I doubt I will be able to anytime soon. I heard from a friend that she had said I was "nuts" or a "psycho", or that I had acted that way I am really not sure. We were really close for those three years, and just wondering could that one lone monent destroyed our friendship and the way she views me. I know if it was reversed with me and anyone else I would just look at it as the person was having a real bad day or going through a rough patch in life.

But that is just me. I leaned thinking this way and being the "good guy" gets you know where in life. You know nice guys finish last.

People need to make their own way in this world. She has no obligation to make sacrifices in her life just to keep you happy.

Anyway I have not spoken with her since than, and due to other things I doubt I will be able to anytime soon. I heard from a friend that she had said I was "nuts" or a "psycho", or that I had acted that way I am really not sure. We were really close for those three years, and just wondering could that one lone monent destroyed our friendship and the way she views me. I know if it was reversed with me and anyone else I would just look at it as the person was having a real bad day or going through a rough patch in life.

I would investigate into what she exactly told your common friend.

If she said you acted like a psycho and was concerned about you, is one thing. All you have to do is apologize about overreacting, and explaining that you are depressed - if she is a true friend, she'll understand.

If she called you a psycho and created unnecessary drama making you look bad, it is a quite disgusting thing to do... and you would not really be losing much if she moves away. :sick:

Agree, if she said nasty things about you behind your back, you're not losing a friend. How close was she to you anyway, if she didn't know about your depression?

• Author
Agree, if she said nasty things about you behind your back, you're not losing a friend. How close was she to you anyway, if she didn't know about your depression?

Real close, but I just do not like to talk to anyone about the depression. Not easy to discuss.