Friend Stole Credit Card

onefunnybabe

onefunnybabe

Greetings all,

I thought my friend was a good friend. She is in her early thirties but apparently lied about how her 2 year old stole my wallet last month. She gave me back the contents of my wallet the following day. I found out that there was a false charge on my credit card - at a grocery store where she lives and on the day that I 'lost' my wallet.

I asked her about it but was almost embarrassed since I couldn't believe she would do that. It didn't seem to be in her character. She said she didn't and thought that was strange. She found half my contents in her child's backpack so I thought maybe someone at the day care could have done it as well.

I got proof from the Credit Card company of a signature - which I initially thought was hers. I got her to write out some names and verified it today that it was her.

I will probably talk to her but I am not sure if I should tell the credit card company. I am undergoing a process now because this was a fraudulent claim so I probably won't get screwed. Luckily this is a card I never used.

What else should I do? I probably will end the friendship after I talk to her about this. For someone her age, this behaviour is inexcusable and wrong!

GorillaTheater

If it was me, and if she wasn't on the edge of starvation and desperately needed the groceries, I'd file a criminal complaint with the cops.

• Author
onefunnybabe

The thing to is she is moving to another province at the end of this month.

She's also not desperate and starving. She supposedly has cancer and so that is why she is moving back to her original hometown because her family can help look after her child as she will be beginning chemo.

Tough one!

Since she is moving, and appears to have some bigger problems than most (be that physically and/or mentally-emotionally), it may serve you well if you can find a way to not take things any further, externally.

Internally, yeah...do the emotional disconnecting from her that you need to, and also the healing, grieving and anger release work.

Whatever HER problems are, you certainly do not deserve to be mistreated and taken advantage of...by her or anyone else!

Hugs.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
onefunnybabe

Hello all,

Here's an update. Well I got proof of the receipt and the hand writing matches her. I got her to write out some stuff and it matched. I didn't want to cause drama when she moved for the first of July so I stopped contact with her.

I sent her an email on facebook last week and finally got the nerve to read it today. I was just saying I was disappointed in her that she did this to me and lied about her 2 year old daughter stealing it. Her response was that she was disappointed that I accused her of that and said she did all these things for me.

I am just going to go to the police because I have the proof and she was the only one who possibly could have done it. I don't know why she just didn't own up to it but I don't need a friend that is f-ed up like that. I might have some sympathy for someone who realized they made a mistake but she was just in denial of the whole situation.

It doesn't make sense to me.

you should tell her about it that you found out that it was her who used the card. just don't trust her fully because she's done that thing to you. how much more in the days to come. better be aware about it.

That major-league sucks. To have a friend rip you off is a huge betrayal.

Thing is, I get the sense that onefunnybabe probably would have had no difficulty at all in just giving her friend some bucks to get groceries or whatever if her friend had just asked. But no. "Friend" had to go behind her back and rip her off.

Onefunnybabe, don't be surprised, by the way, if the police do little or nothing about it. IME (not that I have a lot of experience with the police) they're pretty reticent to lay charges in a case like that. They probably think they've got bigger & more important things to do, like stopping people who are going 33 mph in a 30 zone.

• Author
onefunnybabe

well I'm still searching for work so I couldn't help her anyways. It is betrayal and she is kicking someone when they are down. I'd have found a job by now if there were no recession.

Whatever you decided to do, it's your call.

Just one question, the cancer she has isn't a brain tumor or anything like that, is it? The reason I ask is because I once knew a guy who had a brain tumor and for months no one understood his behavior. He was forgetful and did odd things. He was even fired from his job. Then the tumor was discovered. It explained everything. He died a couple of years later. If your friend has something like that, she could've used your card and then forgot about it. A longshot, I know. I wouldn't bring it up except that you mentioned she had cancer. I'm not sure if that's affecting her mentally or not.

• Author
onefunnybabe

the other thing that is suspicious is that she moved on july 1 and hasn't called me since. that's why I gave her about 2 weeks to contact me before I confronted her. It's interesting your brain tumour story but if that were true in her case, she'd have phone me by now.

Hi,

How long did you know this girl? I would take it to the cops forsure... I am sorry but you never do anything like that to anyone... there is never a reason to do that and if she is moving to be with her family so they can help her out then why are they not making sure she has things she needs for everyday life? There are alot of htings that just do not add up with this one.

• Author
onefunnybabe

we've been hanging out for over a year. I met her through a former co-worker of mine a few years ago and we just reconnected sometime early last year I think.

I did file a report with the cops but they are not going to go after since she's in another province but at least it's on her name.

She denied it when I sent her a message on facebook a couple of weeks ago so that's why I decided to just report it to the police. if she had admitted to it, maybe I would have not and asked for the money back.

it's weird though but she would give me stuff. she gave me a couple of cds since she was moving and some makeup and nail polish. for christmas she gave me an etch-a-sketch pen and a book.

she'd give me stuff on occasion (like birthday, christmas), nothing extravagant. just didn't think she'd do that

• 1 month later...

I would talk to her, express my feelings and let it go. YOU were wrong for leaving something out like this so it could be taken by anyone. SHE was wrong for taking it. In any case, little harm was done except a small charge. YOU are extremely lucky for this, although you are not responsible for any unauthorized charges.

There has to be some overwhelmingly horrendous reason why this lady would risk a criminal record to use your card for such a purchase. I would discuss it with her, embarrass the hell out of her and just forget it. The hassle of prosecution won't be worth it. Being rid of someone that stupid will be.