Top 5 Annoying Things About Relationships

Now don’t get me wrong, I love a cute, well-functioning relationship as much as the next person. And I know I’ve proven in the past to be somewhat cynical towards supposed “love and relationships”, but that has nothing to do with the concepts themselves. It has to do with the annoying people in the relationships that bug the hell out of me. When pertaining to two tolerable, decent, down to earth people, I think “talking”, relationships, even love can be absolutely fantastic.

However, there are some people in this world that have given me the predisposition I can’t help but carry with me today. The obsessers, the naggers, the “cute-sies”, the fight pickers, the “desperates”. Just a few examples of “those” people (who I am happy to admit, are 90% female) whom we all are forced to tolerate in frequent social situations, and if you’re really lucky, on a day-to-day basis as they are in your close circle of friends.

Here’s my list of the top 5 eye-roll appropriate characteristics of annoying relationships.

1. The “lovie-dovies”. They drop the “L bomb” after a whole 2 weeks of close, intimate interaction, and develop an acute form of amnesia which forces them to repeatedly replace each others names with “babe”. They feel the need to always be in physical contact, whether it’s a eye-locked embrace in their own private corner of a party (JUST in case you forgot they were together), or the quick congratulatory make-out sesh after ever beer pong cup. The universal “gag me” sign was developed specifically for every aspect of their lives. Kudos…and, gross.

2. The TMI-ers. We get it. You have sex. Lots and lots of kinky sex. His bed, your bed, your shower, the mall dressing room, whatever. How fantastic. But please realize that the rest of us (unless specifically provoked in tipsy girl-to-girl gossip) are not the least bit interested in hearing the details of your raunchy encounters. If you two are honestly in love and are comfortable enough to share something that special together, GREAT. But in my opinion, if you need the attention that comes with bringing it up in every single conversation, that doesn’t say much for your “relationship”. I am not being judgmental, I am not a “prude”, I am FAR from jealous, I’m just saying respect yourselves enough to keep the most personal part of your relationship between the two of you. Call me old-fashioned. Oh, and please exclude the words “Trojan Pleasure Pack” from all our future conversations.

3. The “cutesies”. Here’s a little exert from a book I’m writing, (ok not really) entitled, “Biggest Dating Misconceptions”. Page 33: Your daily facebook status is NOT required to mention your bf/gf at all times. And while we’re on the FB topic, WHAT is with the wall posts, people. Ladies, must we use the phrase ‘hey boyfraand’ in EVERY wall post? Remember the time before you were dating, when you talked to each other like mutual human beings? Let’s channel that time. Shall we?

4. The ramblers. NO I do not care what he ate for breakfast this morning. NO I do not care about how much his mother loved your new hair-cut. NO I do not care about the Science project he worked for 3 hours on, but then had to redo part of because his roommate came in and accidentally knocked a book on top of it and they were like “LOL” and you were like “LOL” because you were on the phone with him and it was just the funniest thing that had every happened. I DO NOT CARE. Talk to me about the two of you (briefly). Ask me advice. Tell me the sweet thing he did on your date last night. And then SHUT UP. Or else you’re going to develop a lot of resentful friends. We have more important things to talk about anyways, like what shoes I’m going to where with that new top.

5. The missing persons. He was FINALLY able to come over for the first time in 4 days! Hoo-RAY! So what do you do? Lock yourself away and avoid all human contact until he leaves. You miss them. I get it. But by ignoring my texts for 48 hours straight hours, you might miss something important, or geez…hm…maybe…I dunno, make me feel pretty damn low on your priority list. And another thing, you will see him again in a day. Maybe a week. So quit with the whining. How would you feel if he took off to Iraq for 6 months? I’m SO sorry you’re stuck hanging out with me for the time being, but we’re just going to have to make due.

The common thread in all of this? People changing for their bf/gf. Now let me repeat myself. I am not trying to be cynical, judgmental, or a bitch, but if you find yourself to have characteristics of one or more of these, chances are that’s how you’re coming off to at least a few people. Just be the same people we knew and loved before you were in a relationship (remember those days??). Relationships shouldn’t necessarily make you change who you are and how you act, they should just make you happy. And if you’re satisfied just being happy together, it’ll show (and I promise, be much appreciated).

I love this thread. Couples can be REALLY selfish, annoying, and ignorant of how freaking LAME they are.

Mine: PDA! Stop kissing in public, you morons, and then looking at ME like I'M the gross one. F*ck off!

laRubiaBonita

well my perception of go_cats list is that most of the types would be in high school or something.... ergo- mostly teens and the dumb stuff teens do like staking their claims on FB

thewingwoman

Almost every one of those explains an old friend of mine in every relationship she was in. My pet peeve is that she never asked if I wanted to hang out with her.. It was always "wanna come hang out with us?" No, I'm single, I wanna hang out with my friend, not be a third wheel. I can't stand when people get in relationships and forget the concept of "me & I", everything turns into "us & we". Ugh. Which, like I said, she was an old friend, we don't exactly speak anymore due to her behavior when in relationships (which she jumps from one to the other).

Trialbyfire

This list is one of the prime reasons why many couples end up hanging out with other couples and either lose, or get rid of their judgemental single friends.

Couples rarely appreciate hearing about your single hookups, smash drunk incidents, me, me, me mentality and silly comments about so and so, smiling at you, therefore he/she must want you. :rolleyes:

How about everyone just appreciate their friends, as is, and if your friendship isn't working for whatever reasons, let it go.

Star Gazer
This list is one of the prime reasons why many couples end up hanging out with other couples and either lose, or get rid of their judgemental single friends.

Couples rarely appreciate hearing about your single hookups, smash drunk incidents, me, me, me mentality and silly comments about so and so, smiling at you, therefore he/she must want you. :rolleyes:

Amen. I've been struggling with exactly this. My single friends are all so... judgmental, about those in relationships.

Fair enough, but the "we" mentality mentioned by another poster is freaking annoying and almost disgusting. These people have voluntarily given up their own sense of individuality in the name of some comfort and status.

Once you start saying "we" - watch out, you've lost your testicles.

green_tea

Why is this in the friendship forum? I come here to get away from relationship type threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with every word of this!! People change while relationship especially when you start to live together, even pleasant things can annoy and I also hate those couples who think and demonstrate what a perfect relationship they have and that they are are so in love with each other - such relationships are not for me!