Disappointed and discouraged.

stupid_woman

I'm really not here for advice, I just needed to get how I was feeling off my chest.

This past weekend, an old friend from my home town, and Jr high and Sr High was coming to my city for the weekend and we'd made previous tentative plans that we'd get together for a drink while he was here. Well, the weekend came and went and all I got was a lame excuse and an email, when he got back to his (my old) home town.

He's someone I had a big crush on, in grade 7, 8, 9, and 10...though I was extremely shy and not one to "chase" him, I know he knew I was interested. We were in the same home-room all those years. His parents were quite well to do, and mine weren't so I often sensed that maybe I wasn't good enough.

His sister and my younger sister (4 years younger) have been friends throughout the years and regularly keep in touch. The last time I saw him, was when he was married, 5 years ago, at my sister's wedding (there with his wife). He's been divorced for 4 years, and though everyone knew the woman he married was a certified nutcase, he married her anyway.

Anyway, About a month ago I decided to just drop him an email at the company he owns (he took over his father's very successful insurance business), just to say hello, with no other reason other than to just make contact with an old friend from school. Trust me, he looks a lot different than in school (totally bald, glasses, etc)

He seemed surprised and happy to hear from me. Mentioned his divorce briefly, asked how I was, said that the next time he was here in my city on business, we should get together for a drink.

He'd dropped me an email last weekend saying he'd be here this past Friday and that he had my home # and he gave me his cell #. On Thursday, I was really sick with the flu and thought it considerate to get ahold of him, to let him know, because I didn't know if he'd arranged his schedule to include spending time with me. I emailed him at home and work that afternoon, didn't call his cell as I didn't want to bother him. That was Halloween night. He called that night, and could tell by my voice how sick I was. Chit chatted for a bit. Asked what I was doing over the weekend, I said I didn't know, depended how I felt. Said he'd keep in touch, and that he'd actually be staying all weekend, staying with a friend (guy). Said if nothing else, like if i was feeling too sick still to get together over the weekend, that at least he'd stop by my place on his way out of town/back home.

By today, I felt a lot better but still not 100% (but not too sick for company). I got up early and cleaned up my house, thinking he'd call to come by on his way back home.

Got an email around 7pm, apologizing for not calling on his way back home, some bullshiit excuse about having to pick up some 22 ft trailer for some friend in a neighboring town...basically, it was obvious he was lying. If he really had to do what he said he did, plans would have been made either before he came here, or at least by yesterday, which means he could have at least had the courtesy to call me, versus sending a cowardly email once home.

Says in his email, all friendly like, "you'll never guess who I ran into while out thursday night!"...like we're such close pals. Okay, so it was his crazy (she's been institutionalized a couple times, seriously) ex wife. Okay, I'm not jealous about this at all, who cares, but don't blow me off and then talk all buddy buddy. I was kind enough to think enough of him, after all these years, to initiate contact, just to say hello....and this is what I get?

I will not return his email to tell him it's "okay" that he was too busy or whatever. He will never hear from me again. He blew me off in school because I didn't have rich parents and I didn't hang around with the kids-of-rich-parents crowd. I often him nothing more than my frienship and again I get blown off.

If someone from school contacted me out of the blue, I would be so grateful and flattered and I would never treat them like this.

I am disappointed. Disappointed that for a month he lead me to believe on several occasions that it was important to him that we get together when he was here. I looked forward to it, catching up on old times, etc. I never gave him even the least impression that I was interested in anything more.

I am tired of extending my friendship and kindness, only to be crapped upon. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I know it's likely not a big deal. Tony I don't need you to reply with something that will make me feel even more silly or disappointed. No need to respond, anyone.

HokeyReligions

I think its sweet that you went to so much trouble especially when you didn't feel well.

I've been disappointed like that before and it is the absolute PITS (as we used to say).

I'm glad you got it off your chest and I hope you don't let it get you down. Who needs friends like that anyway! :)

\