How to interpret this behaviour?

Zal2008

Every Tuesday for the past three months I have been going to this girl's apartment where five of us meet to have our weekly book club meetings.

Last Tuesday we had our first snowfall of the season and temperatures dropped to zero in the evening. After work I went to the girl's place -- we'll call her Gina. When I showed up Gina had showered and changed and was blowdrying her hair. I commented how freezing it was outside and that I'm still trying to warm up.

As Gina was in the bathroom drying her hair, I closed the open window in her living room. I turned off her dining room fan as well.

The other girls arrived shortly. Gina came out of the bathroom and saw that her fan was off and turned it back on. I said "Sorry, I closed it because it's freezing in here. I also closed the window."

Then I asked her if she keeps her fan on all winter and she said yes because it gets very hot in her apartment.

Anyway. We commenced our meeting, which was 2 hours, and I got colder and colder. I noticed that the window behind me was open and there was a draft coming in. Gina knew the window was open but didn't say anything. I couldn't stand the cold anymore so I got up and grabbed my long winter coat and wore it and sat back down. I also had my scarf on. One of the other girls also kept adjusting her scarf indicating that she was cold.

At the end of the night when we were all leaving Gina said to me "I noticed you were cold." I said "Yes I was freezing" but she didsn't say anything beyond that...

The next day I emailed her saying: "Hi Gina, I hope you're having a good day at work. I was just wondering if your apartment heaters will be on next Tuesday. It was very cold last night."

She responded: "They were on last night. But the window behind you was also open so you were probably getting the cold draft on you. Next week you are going to have to change your seat. :) Have a nice day."

Does anyone find anything odd about this?

Hi Zal.

I can see both sides...and three possible solutions:

1. Rotate where the meetings are held (and wear extra layers when it's Gina's turn. <bbrrr>)

2. Suggest that the book club be disbanded during the cold-weather months.

3. Quit the book club permanently...or at least until Spring.

Hope things are going well.

Yeah it's rude! I would tell her that I am concerned even with my coat that I will become ill and I really enjoy our visit's and then ask her can you compromise somehow. Hey, I am curious did you speak to any of the other's about this? Weird behavior!

• Author

I didn't speak to the other girls about that night. Maybe I should.

Yeah, I thought it was selfish/rude too. I like your suggestion to say even with my winter coat on it is cold in here, can you please compromise? And then if she still says no it gets too warm for her then I say that I won't be able to come anymore at least until spring!

We can't rotate the meetings unfortunately.

One of my friends likes it ice cold in her place. ..

This girl is likely feeling really warm all the time. But the behavior is a bit rude if you guest is putting a COAT on while sitting on the couch with a scarf covering the remaining exposed cold parts. The Host should have said : Are you cold ? I'm sorry , just for this meeting , let me turn the heater on a bit for you folks. " I think her behavior was rude and selfish.

After you guys left she could have blasted the windows open to her delight. She did not. Not a good Host...at all...